Towing after transmission replacement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there a recommended mileage to wait after having a transmission replaced to tow a trailer? The trailer weight is probably about 4500 lbs. For a new vehicle, the manual says to wait 1000 miles. I always thought this was due to brakes and the rear differential. Is there any break in that needs to occur in the transmission?

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Were I in the same situation, I would want assurance that the transmission cooler and all of the cooler lines had been flushed out within an inch of their lives. It won't do much good to replace the transmission and connect it with any existing parts that could be contaminated with debris.

After that, I would follow the towing recommendations for when the vehicle was brand new. As a precaution, I wouldn't want to present any potential excuse for the replacement failing because I didn't break it in properly.

Beachums

Reaction score
From what I was told in the past by the tech, was it is primarily for the rear diff. Although now that you mention it...the brakes would make sense too. If there is a reason to wait till 1K for transmission longevity, I've never heard of one.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FYI, when Ford replaced my transmission in March I asked this same question of the service manager. He just said “I’d give it a little break-in period”.

Real helpful.

FWIW, they did flush the transmission cooler and all lines without me asking them too.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you guys followed every break in procedure, the vehicle would be half worn out before you could even use it. Just run it. If it can't handle a small trailer, then its junk anyway in my opinion.