Towing cylinder 4 misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When towing 45+ mph on state highways and trying to maintain speed going uphill, I get a shuddering and then Cylinder 4 Misfire error. I thought it was related to my oil catch can, so I switched to the premium brand. Same problem, so I switched back to the OEM pcv hose. The problem still remained on my tow home today. I'll schedule an appointment with the dealer (still have a warranty), but anybody have a thought what could be the cause or how to avoid it (without telling me to stop towing or go even slower)?

I'm at 78,000 miles approx.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pull the code. Probably spark plugs. I had the same issue while accelerating with the camper hooked up...around 90k I think. Supposedly the Ecoboost is hard on plugs and they're done well before 100k miles. I have a thread on here about my experience changing them.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had a misfire last week during heavy throttle. Easily replicated it during full throttle acceleration. It's been around 30K miles since I put new plugs in. I ordered coils for cylinder 2 and 3. Then regapped the plugs down to .028 to .03. Misfire is gone during full throttle. Sending coils back.