Towing, Dump Trailer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have towed our 14’ bumper pull dump trailer with my Gen4. It has great brakes and the axles are pretty close to the center of the trailer so the tongue weight doesn’t go to crazy. You just need to keep the weight over the axles and not exceed the max tow or tongue weight. Ours is rated for 14k and can hold 9000 lbs of weight. 14K is way over the best 9300 lb rating. Which is with a WDH, but if it’s light and not a long haul it’s fine. Anything heavy and a longer journey I use the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JS2295

JS2295

Reaction score
I'm thinking something more in the 14k gvwr relm from Suretrac. My friend has a Suretrac dump trailer that he will let me borrow for cleaning out and updating rental properties. My uncle's F-250 handled the trailer fine. The most weight I've had in the trailer was close to 4000lbs, filled to the brim with demo material. The trailer's UVW is 3800lbs. Guess I'm more worried about tongue weight because there is no weight distribution hitch.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm thinking something more in the 14k gvwr relm from Suretrac. My friend has a Suretrac dump trailer that he will let me borrow for cleaning out and updating rental properties. My uncle's F-250 handled the trailer fine. The most weight I've had in the trailer was close to 4000lbs, filled to the brim with demo material. The trailer's UVW is 3800lbs. Guess I'm more worried about tongue weight because there is no weight distribution hitch.

You can add a WDH to the dump trailer if needed. An expedition will never be the tow rig that an F250 is...

patterrr

Reaction score
I tow a PJ dump trailer all the time with my 2019 Expedition Stealth (it has the heavy duty towing package). It is silly and ridiculous how much easier the Expedition pulls the trailer than my 2013 Tahoe that I used for years before, empty or full. Its empty weight is around 3,000 lbs and generally you don't even know it's back there empty when the brakes are adjusted correctly. My only issue is that when going 25-35 MPH the trailer hops a bit which is quite annoying, but slower, faster, or loaded that doesn't happen. Might be the crappy tires on it. When loaded the Expedition still pulls it like a champ, usually I load to about 5000 - 6000 lbs. I go less than 10 miles fully loaded but have never wished I had a WDH, except when the loader screws up and puts the full load in front of the axles. I make it a habit now to make sure the loader is in the right spot before he dumps into the trailer. I hate to admit this but I've been in a pinch on 2-3 occasions where my trailer got filled to 10,000+ lbs, so I was at 13,000 lbs including the weight of the trailer. Expedition still towed it amazingly well. I wouldn't be comfortable going too far that overloaded though - even though the Expy did great my conscience was killing me!

Paul M

Reaction score
You sound like me. I try to everything right but occasionally I find myself saying "Damn, that wasn't a good idea..."

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiscoford