Towing MPG?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Rod240sx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you for all the great feedback guys - much appreciated!

I bought the truck expecting a gas guzzler - didn't know it would be this bad

RACENUT - that's great towing mileage! I'd be happy with an average 10-11 mpg's towing. I'm currently getting 7.5 mpg which is depressing.... I will definitely look into making some of your recommendations starting with a programmer.

WALNUTS4X4 - Thanks for the feedback mate, definitely going to try a programmer.

Are we able to tune these programmers ourselves or does it require a tuner with a dyno? I've been reading about programmers and the EDGE seems to be the clear winner over Superchips - how do you guys feel on the 2 systems?

Thanks again!

(I love my expy, I love my expy, I love my expy) :)

FtLaudBlkGT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, gas mileage is bad.. Also the more the ethanol, the worse your mileage will be..

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to put a programmer on your expy they simply plug into the OBD2 port and follow the on screen directions... really easy...

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i recently moved back home (arizona) from tenessee i used a uhaul car trailer(not the dollie) to tow my 07 corolla. i loaded up the corolla then packed it from floor to ceiling then i loaded up the expy i could not see out any back window and on top of that "litterally" i put a car topper on top of the expy and loaded it down to give you all an idea the trailer tongue was around 6 inches to the ground. my weigh station ticket said i was around 14 k total i do believe. i averaged 10-12mpg but i tried to keep a halfway decent foot on the pedal, the truck was already struggling. o and less then a week after being home i replaced all 4 cats they where all rattling, dont think the trip helped them, all i had at that time was a k&n drop in and a 40 series flowmaster

Sven

Reaction score
I get 18-19 on the hwy 59-63mph, slow accel and long deccels. 17 if I`m on the freeway going 70.

I tow a 4 place sled trailer, with 2 ATVs and a sidebyside everyfall. I get 10-11 pulling 60. 8-9 going 65.

If I drive like I did 10 years ago I get 14mpg unloaded.

Driving habits make or break your MPGs. Add a head or tailwind and its that much more.

My personal best was a 180 Miles trip AVG speed was in the 60 mph ranch with some freeway driving. I recorded nearly 21 with a stout tail wind.

Sven

Reaction score
12-14 on the highway, going 60, no faster!

You got something wrong or, you at where I was 10 years ago. Which would have put me at 16yo.

You can go no faster than 60 but it still dont help if its wide open to 58mph coasting up to 60 lol.

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You got something wrong or, you at where I was 10 years ago. Which would have put me at 16yo.

You can go no faster than 60 but it still dont help if its wide open to 58mph coasting up to 60 lol.

Oh, I dont do the towing, my dad does, but its my car to drive. I dont go WOT when I tow, im conservative with my driving habits, this expy just gets this bad of mileage in general, in town its around 9-10, I have the oldest and least powerful 5.4:shrug:

80z28

Reaction score
normal gas mileage i average 14.7 mpg

with car and open trailer approx 7000 lbs I get 11

with enclosed 28 ft and car approx 10000 lbs I was getting 9

05 expedition