Towing MPG?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VTfireftr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife and I just got back from a 4500 mile trip out to the Black Hills of South Dakota (after Sturgis).

We towed a 7 x 14 dual axel box trailer with our bikes and "stuff". Our 2008 Expedition averaged 10 mpg out and back. And that's with hiway speeds averaging 75mph.

I also used the O/D and cruise control. But had to keep an eye on the tachometer on the hills so I wouldn't overrev the motor.

Great trip! No issues with anything other than the aftermarket stereo.

Still cleaning up my town after Irene, but no damage to the house.

Hopefully, we'll get the roads back to somewhere near normal next week.

Be safe!

Marc

tomb

Reaction score
Just towed my mustang on an open trailer for 500 miles with my 2003 Expedition. For the first 250 miles I only drove 60 miles an hr hoping to save gas. I averaged 10 miles to the gallon. The next 250 miles I drove at 72 miles an hr and averaged over 12 miles to the gallon. Surprise surprise. I've talked to others who claim they get better milage going faster also. I also had the overdrive off and the RPM was running at 2800.
Tom

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
8.5 mpg from Annapolis, MD to Monterey hauling the Featherlite loaded w/ '96 Vette, parts, clothes, dog food etc. taking the scenic route on 87 octane.

10.2 mpg on the way back 2 years later after the S/C/aftercooler, opened exhaust, oversized tranny pan allowing use of O/D, Nose Cone on the trailer. Air Dam used for both trips & 92 octane.

Dexter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My dad's alarm disabled his starter a few weeks ago and we finally towed it to ford yesterday morning. I pulled his Expy with my Expy. It was a sight, haha. I reset my fuel milage before we left and I was around 11 MPG by the time I got there. 5 miles or so in the city.

hautevue

Reaction score
Mine is a 2008 gas Expy w/4wd and towing package. Around town mileage = 15-16. Highway mileage = 16. Towing my travel trailer weighing 7200# I get 9 - 10 mpg. I have done nothing to the engine, etc. I have 70,000 miles on her and the towing mileage includes from east coast to Seattle, Vancouver, Oly. Peninsula, Glacier Nat. Park, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and then back east. It's rock steady at 9 - 10 mpg; the slightly lower mpg is earned when I tow over the Rockies, and the 10 mpg is across the flats of the mid-west.

OP
OP
R

Rod240sx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
8.5 mpg from Annapolis, MD to Monterey hauling the Featherlite loaded w/ '96 Vette, parts, clothes, dog food etc. taking the scenic route on 87 octane.

10.2 mpg on the way back 2 years later after the S/C/aftercooler, opened exhaust, oversized tranny pan allowing use of O/D, Nose Cone on the trailer. Air Dam used for both trips & 92 octane.

Hi Evan,

Where did you get your trailer Nose Cone and Air Dam? I've heard good things from a couple of folks. i need to get that installed on my setup too and try to improve my mileage..

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Evan,

Where did you get your trailer Nose Cone and Air Dam? I've heard good things from a couple of folks. i need to get that installed on my setup too and try to improve my mileage..

Just saw this-duh. Let me look up the info in my folder and get back to ya.

Mikiedoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine has been 8.4 around town not towing anything so I can imagine what its gonna be towing my boat in the spring...lol

Still have to do the gotts mod, E-fans, open the exhaust and program it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiscoford