Towing package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottk

Reaction score
Another newby question for a guy looking at Expeditions...

I'm looking at an '08 EL, 4x4, Eddie Bauer at a Subaru dealer. It has the 7 wire at the hitch. Does this mean it has the HD trailer package? It also has the 3.73 gears (according to them). Are all Expedition pre-wired for the brake controller.

I called Ford customer service to ask the same questions but had a guy that didn't know anything (or spoke much english...)

vbxt

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a 2006, but I have the tow package and I have the 7 wire connector, a 4 wire connector, 3.73's, and am prewired for the brake controller.

Hope that helps.

dcarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i was under my 07 the other day and noticed this, i have a 4 pin connector that is kinda junky but there are a couple other wires in a short loom with a tag saying trailer brakes or something along those lines. does this mean i DO have a brake controller or just a harness from the factory for those that do?

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another newby question for a guy looking at Expeditions...

I'm looking at an '08 EL, 4x4, Eddie Bauer at a Subaru dealer. It has the 7 wire at the hitch. Does this mean it has the HD trailer package? It also has the 3.73 gears (according to them). Are all Expedition pre-wired for the brake controller.

I called Ford customer service to ask the same questions but had a guy that didn't know anything (or spoke much english...)

Scottk most EL's came with 3.73 gears. As for the 7pin connector usually indicates HD towing pkg. If you can get the VIN of it there is a website to look at the original window sticker.
cut and paste this:

http://services.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=

Enter your VIN after the = sign

Matt

u.p.expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another way to tell if you have the hd tow package is to look at your transmission cooler-it is right in front of your radiator. I believe that the owners manual explains it, but I think that if there are seven rows in the cooler that means you also have the hd package.

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for that VIN check link... That will be HUGE!!! Currently looking for an expedition and most dealers have no idea about tow packages and such...