Towing problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve A Kuehnel

Reaction score
Towing a 4900 lb. travel trailer with 2013 Espy with HD tow package. I'm getting a lot of up and down movement with the Espy. I have an r3 campco recurve hitch.

kyleaaronburkett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Towing a 4900 lb. travel trailer with 2013 Espy with HD tow package. I'm getting a lot of up and down movement with the Espy. I have an r3 campco recurve hitch.
It looks like that's a weight distribution hitch. We have a lot of up and down when we hit some bumps, but, we've weighted our trailer down in the back. I think 2/3 of weight should be towards hitch. We load a motorcycle on the back of our camper.

When I first started pulling I would often forget to latch the ball (hooking the weight distribution without the ball latched created a lot of sway).

None of that probably helps. Hopefully it's not shocks or struts.

Good luck!

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Dr0idattack

Reaction score
My near perfect towing setup is:
2013 Limited with HD tow
Equalizer 12k WDH
LT truck tires (Falken Wildpeaks); aired up to almost 80psi when towing
Sumospring helpers on the back
Bilstein 4600s (front and back)

My Retro 265 probably weighs close to 6k loaded and I can get up to 70+ will minimal porpoising on bumps.

Also make sure your trailer load is balanced, probably biasing towards the front of the trailer axles.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Weight on the trailer hitch should be 10 - 13% of loaded trailer weight. Check your axle drop to ensure weight is distributed between the front and rear axles after loading. You can purchase a tongue weight scale to get the tongue weight, but for the full loaded trailer weight you'll need to visit a truck scale.

Oldnerdguy

Reaction score
I have a 2017 non-EL. Had some issues in the beginning getting it right with sway and bouncing. Sway was my worst issue.
I blame it on the Independent Rear Suspension and the intent to be a pleasant riding SUV.
I added the Sumosprings to the rear. Aired up all the tires to closer to max. I think max pressure is 45ish, and run them at 42 when towing. Then I did some re-adjusting to get the loaded weight measurements on the fender wells as close possible to the recommendations that came with the hitch. These things helped A LOT. Still not my truck but very usable.
You need a flat surface to do the measurements. And a test course (same path to drive) that has turns, bumps, humps, uneven road, etc. Make adjustments then drive the loop. Note what got better and what got worse. Tweak and repeat. It only took 3 or 4 trips to get it right.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Check your weight and balance. You need weight on the ball.

I've towed the same ~6000 pound travel trailer since 2005 with my Expeditions with none of these symptoms. First with a '07 and presently with a '17, both with HD towing. Equalizer (brand) WDH with 13%-15% on the ball as required for safe towing. Eastern mountains (nothing over 5000'). Run at highway speeds 65mph typically.

-- Chuck

Dr0idattack

Reaction score
Check your weight and balance. You need weight on the ball.

I've towed the same ~6000 pound travel trailer since 2005 with my Expeditions with none of these symptoms. First with a '07 and presently with a '17, both with HD towing. Equalizer (brand) WDH with 13%-15% on the ball as required for safe towing. Eastern mountains (nothing over 5000'). Run at highway speeds 65mph typically.

-- Chuck

Yeah Equalizer hitch fixed most (if not all) of my issues. I no long want a truck that bad (but I do wish I had the 3.73 differential. I know those hitches can be pricy and the setup is challenging, but it really made a difference.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
3.31 axles on my '17 with the Ecobost 3.5 engine tow at least as well as the 3.73 limited slips on my former '07 5.4V8. I admit it surprised me. Towing is all about torque and the 3.5EB has it!

I have a tongue weight scale used to setup my last two campers for the 10%-15% weight requirement. Last used it when I moved two years ago with a heavily loaded 6'x12' U-Haul trailer containing stuff neither my wife nor I wanted to entrust to the moving company. No WDH with these trailers so weight and balance are critical.

I'm very pleased with the Ford HD Tow package brake controller and the ability to have the towing data for several trailers stored in memory and record their mileage hooked to the truck. First time connected to my '06 model camper there was a "tail light out" message on the dash and, sure enough, one was out.

-- Chuck

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My near perfect towing setup is:
2013 Limited with HD tow
Equalizer 12k WDH
LT truck tires (Falken Wildpeaks); aired up to almost 80psi when towing
Sumospring helpers on the back
Bilstein 4600s (front and back)

My Retro 265 probably weighs close to 6k loaded and I can get up to 70+ will minimal porpoising on bumps.

Also make sure your trailer load is balanced, probably biasing towards the front of the trailer axles.

My tires have a max PSI of 51 and I run them at 45 while towing. I've found that it helps a lot. The rear feels more solid.
My WDH is an Equalizer 10K with 1000lb bars. I tow a camper that weighs in around 6500. Tongue is around 800#. Porposing is minimal, but happens over larger bumps.
My issue I'd like to solve is the rear sag. The WDH helps a lot. There is 0" rise on the front when hooked up.
I'm sure the 4600s would help my Expy's rear motion control better than the stock shocks with 135kmi on them.

What's your ride like with the Sumo coil helpers when NOT towing?

Dr0idattack

Reaction score
Good. Didn’t really impact the ride much except to be less floaty.

If you still have sag with your hitch, you may need to add another washer or two. There shouldn’t be any sag, or at least the sag should be evenly distributed across all four wheels.