Towing Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rv8striker

Reaction score
Hi, new guy here
I'm just about ready to pop for a new 2012 EL-Limited. My wife and a I plan to hit the road later this year or early next with a travel trailer. Before we take the big plunge I like to hear some thoughts about how big (heavy) a trailer we can comfortably and safely haul. The trailers that appeal to us run in the 6500 to 7200 Lbs. range empty. Ford rates the EL-Limited at 8,700. Good to go or should we be thinking smaller trailer?

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Loaded up with gear, water, supplies, you're gonna get real close to max. Not to mention the extra stress you'll be putting on the Expy. If occasional towing is your thing, I'd say you "should" be ok. If doing habitual towing, you're gonna tear apart the Expy.
I like to have a bit more safety room on the max capacity. I pull our boat which tips the scales a close to 6000 and I'm rated for 9100. If my boat was any bigger, the Expy wouldn't be the tow vehicle of choice for me, just personal preference. Maybe just a bit smaller trailer.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like Dib said you should be ok. You might want to invest in a weight distributing hitch as well for something that heavy with all the gear.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
well if you havent bought the expy yet look in to a f 250 with 4 doors, then a fith wheel camper i think you will be happier

8Seconds

Reaction score
I have been towing a 24' 5500 lb race trailer (loaded with bike and gear about 7k) all over the Southwest for the last 2 years with my 10' XLT EXPY. I bought my Expy over a truck as I have 2 big dogs and I wanted an enclosed rear area for them.
Tows like a dream-anti sway has engaged just twice (once up a climb to Vegas as a semi flew past me, and once in a freeway curve sweeper). Trust me, it works as advertised and calmed my rig down. Has a WD hitch-Easily climbs up or down elevations in Tow/haul mode and cruises like a dream. I only go 60 mph or so and dont push my luck.
Rig has heavy load Maxxis tires (way more than I haul) and I just invested in my Expy with Nitto 420's for hauling heavy loads with 20" KMC wheels and a billet grill.
Here's a couple pics getting ready to hit the track-
photo21fd.jpg
photo22ku.jpg