Towing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GaryB

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Expy limited, with the Heavy-duty trailer package, and anti-sway control. I've never towed much, so I don't really know what I have. Looking at campers now. Can anyone tell me if this has a trailer brake, or how I would know if it does or not? Thanks.

Plati

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Expy limited, with the Heavy-duty trailer package, and anti-sway control. I've never towed much, so I don't really know what I have. Looking at campers now. Can anyone tell me if this has a trailer brake, or how I would know if it does or not? Thanks.
Read the owners manual?

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did they have ford factory trailer break controllers available on 2010 expeditions?

OP
OP
G

GaryB

Reaction score
OK. Just read the owner's manual. Apparently, there was a factory kit to plug an aftermarket trailer brake into. I'll need to find that. Thanks.

ynpmoose

Reaction score
If you can find a factory harness to plug the brake controller into, that is ideal. I know Prodigy controllers make harnesses that will plug into their unit and right into factory harnesses, no soldering required. I would imagine other brands have this as well.

wingrider

Reaction score
HD Tow on some years came with a factory connector cable to install a 3rd party brake controller located under the dash near the gas pedal. My '12 had that and I purchased a controller (brand escapes me at the moment) but I just plugged it in, configured it and it's literally been plug and play since. It has been set up for my Race trailer empty and a second setting for with the GT500 in the trailer. Plug it in when towing, put in the console when not towing. Works well.

I think Trailer Brake Control became a built in option for '13....

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you don't have a factory brake controller, the Tekonsha P3 is a good controller. Safe yourself some time on the install and get the Ford brake controller cable too.

I also included a link to the 2010 tow guide to figure out your tow capacity. Typically, I size a trailer for 70% of tow capacity. With a good weight distribution kit it should be a comfortable tow.

P3 Brake Controller
https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-901...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Ford Cable
https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-303...automotive&vehicleId=2&vehicleType=automotive

2010 tow guide to find your tow capacity.
http://www.trailerlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/DigitalTLTowGuide2010i.pdf