Towing Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

puma357

Reaction score
I have a 2017 XLT EL with tow package. Last month, I towed my daughters car on a car trailer from KC to Las Vegas. Took I-70 to I-15. Temps in Nevada were 110+ Kept it in tow mode the entire way and never had an issue with overheating.
IMG_6167.jpg

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last week I towed my father in laws enclosed trailer with a side by side in it. All was well within the 9K towing limit of my 2017 Limited with tow package. This is the first time I have towed this trailer. My own trailer is a 7x14 that I put my own RZR on and never had any issues. Well this time with my father in laws enclosed trailer I got an engine overheat warning once on the 4 hour drive. it chimed just for a second and then went away. The temperature outside was in the mid 90's and yes it did happen on some long sloping hills in I-15 here in Utah. I switched over the dash view to see my engine temperature and watched it for the next hour. As expected it would rise on the long sloping hills and then go back to normal on the level or downhill slope. It never warned me again after that time and I've never had this happen before.

Other than checking my coolant level and ideas or is this normal? I'm kind of a newb so go easy. :)

Thanks!
What was the grade and your speed?

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Never experienced this so here's my guess: :)

Temp alert for one (1) second should not be a concern. Air resistance is the major restriction to towing other than grades and it's exponential -- it's twice at 70mph than it was at 50 so slower speeds don't require a lot of power. Also the Tow/Haul setting is designed for this function so use it as well.

-- Chuck