Towing Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Duckman

Reaction score
I recently bought an '07 Expedition EL without the towing package and 7-way plug. It has the standard Expedition hitch receiver and 4-way plug. The intended towing use of the vehicle is to pull a relatively light weight two-horse trailer.

I know the towing capacity should be OK, as loaded weight should be only about 5,000-5,500 lbs. However, most of the bumper-pull trailers with electric brakes I've found have the 7-way plug, which would have been standard on an Expedition with the towing package.

What do I need to do to my Expedition to get it ready to tow a trailer with electric brakes and a 7-way plug?

Can the 7-way be exchanged directly for the existing 4-way?

Does the truck need complete rewiring to accommodate electric brakes?

Thanks in advance for your help.

etrailer

Reaction score
I recently bought an '07 Expedition EL without the towing package and 7-way plug. It has the standard Expedition hitch receiver and 4-way plug. The intended towing use of the vehicle is to pull a relatively light weight two-horse trailer.

I know the towing capacity should be OK, as loaded weight should be only about 5,000-5,500 lbs. However, most of the bumper-pull trailers with electric brakes I've found have the 7-way plug, which would have been standard on an Expedition with the towing package.

What do I need to do to my Expedition to get it ready to tow a trailer with electric brakes and a 7-way plug?

Can the 7-way be exchanged directly for the existing 4-way?

Does the truck need complete rewiring to accommodate electric brakes?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You will need to wire in a new 7-Way. You can use the existing 4-Way to wire those functions, but you will need to run 2 wires up to the front, one for 12V power and one for brake controller. You can also go ahead and add the reverse light wire.

You'll need a brake controller mounted in the cab of the Expedition that will operate the trailer's brakes when you brake the Expy.

Make sure to check in the owner's manual about your towing capacity. A 2 horse load is getting pretty hefty. You may also want a weight distribution and sway control system to help the Expy manage the weight and keep the trailer under control, especially since your cargo is live and can move some inside the trailer.

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You will need to wire in a new 7-Way. You can use the existing 4-Way to wire those functions, but you will need to run 2 wires up to the front, one for 12V power and one for brake controller. You can also go ahead and add the reverse light wire.

You'll need a brake controller mounted in the cab of the Expedition that will operate the trailer's brakes when you brake the Expy.

Make sure to check in the owner's manual about your towing capacity. A 2 horse load is getting pretty hefty. You may also want a weight distribution and sway control system to help the Expy manage the weight and keep the trailer under control, especially since your cargo is live and can move some inside the trailer.

You do NOT need to run any wires to the front of the vehicle! All expeditions are prewired so all you have to do is locate the wires in the main harness under the drivers side rear corner of the truck. Just follow the 4 pin harness till it conects into the main harness and you will find the wires "stubbed". You will then need to add a couple of fuses and relays to the under hood box so that those lines have power.

The expy is also pre wired for the brake controller. The conector should be on the same braket under the drivers side of the dash that the OBD II conector is on.

etrailer

Reaction score
I should've known that. Thanks for the correction. Where are the wires terminated in the rear?

Here's a picture of a pigtail that can be used to connect to the factory controller port under the dash. Brown end goes to Expy, the black end will fit Tekonsha, Draw-Tite and a few other makes of brake controllers.

3035-P_500.jpg

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The wires are terminated at the main harness conector in the drivers rear corner of the truck. If you fallow the 4 pin harness from the plug up to the harness you will find the wires.

OP
OP
D

Duckman

Reaction score
Thanks

I've just returned to the forum and my questions. Thanks to all for your help with this. You guys are great.

skunk237

Reaction score
Just bought a 2012 xlt expy. Needed to get rid of the Tahoe and we love it. I have the 4 pin flat and will buy the P2 brake control. I have the blue wire for the brake control and found the plug in under the dash. Once I find the aux power wire in the loom how do I tell what fuse and relay to put in the power box under the hood.

Thanks

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just bought a 2012 xlt expy. Needed to get rid of the Tahoe and we love it. I have the 4 pin flat and will buy the P2 brake control. I have the blue wire for the brake control and found the plug in under the dash. Once I find the aux power wire in the loom how do I tell what fuse and relay to put in the power box under the hood.

Thanks

I just swapped over to a 7 pin on mine yesterday. I had the blue wire for the brake controller, but I couldn't find anything else. I ended up having to tap into the back up lights for my set up. If you look at the owners manual it lists the fuse for the charge circuit. You just have to add the fuse into that slot. Hopefully you have the wire in the loom already.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I forget the manufacturer, perhaps Reese, but bought the 7-to-4 adapter allowing to fit into my factory harness connection coming from the trailering 7-pin plug.

Granted this is a 1st Gen (97), but worked fine w/the Featherlite Trailer. Empty weight was 3860#, loaded around 7500#.

+1 on weight distributing setup and anti-sway kit. Also went w/ the roof deflecting airfoil and NoseCone to cut down on the big "square" wind grabber.

I also tapped into the factory wires to splice in the Tekonsha brake controller.

A few pics.

Attachments

• featherlite.jpg
    featherlite.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 233
  • Brake Controller Hookup1.jpg
    Brake Controller Hookup1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 390
  • tekonsha.jpg
    tekonsha.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 198
Last edited: