Towing with my 00 Expy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timotaio

Reaction score
I just bought a 2000 expy 5.4 EB, I have about a 4000lb boat with no trailer brakes, I was previously towing with a 2000 silverado 1500 and it fried three sets of rotors, Can my new Expy's brakes handle and extra 4000lbs while stopping?Also it has a tow package on it. But I dont see the tranny cooler, maybe it doesnt have one?

Thanks for any insight I think trailer brakes will be cheaper than new rotors. : )

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it has the tow package, it should have a tranny cooler as well. Look near the radiator. But IMHO the factory tranny cooler is crappy. A lot of guys, myseld included, have added an additional tranny cooler.

Your brakes will take a beating, they aren't your truck's strong suit. I'd run them until they warped, then put a good set of pads and aftermarket front rotors on there.

I run Hawk HPS pads (about $70 or so) and plain Brembo rotors (about $60 each from the Tire Rack). I've got a supercharger and I tow a 7,000 lb. boat/trailer (with brakes) so I'm pretty hard on my brakes.

But others have had good results with other pad/rotor combos as well. But everyone hates the factory pads/rotors and they are pricey.

The rear brakes don't really give too many folks too much trouble.

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by timotaio
Maybe I will spend the $500 and put brakes on my trailer. : (

I'd want brakes for sure on a trailer that weighs 4,000 lb.

Wouldn't really want to tow 2 tons without brakes (what if you have to stop quickly?), but that's just me.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Washington 360-705-7000 www.wsdot.wa.gov Required on all trailers on all wheels. Under 3000 lbs not required unless trailer exceeds 40% of the towing vehicle gross weight

so its aginst the law to tow this trailer on the road with no brakes
so you need to get the brakes in working condition

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
it might be cheaper to buy a new axel from dexter axel
with the brakes on it

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by timotaio
Thanks, I'll look into to it, I definitley don't have extra money laying around.

I think we can all relate to that.

One thing to think about is "what's your safety worth".

Plus, if you happen to rear-end someone and it's determined that you aren't in compliance with the law, you could personally be sued. Heaven forbid that this would happen, but there's always that "what if" scenario.

Good luck.

Capri331

Reaction score
Do you have the owners manual? I believe I checked mine and it stated that our 2000 with a 4.6, 16" wheels and 3.55 gears could handle 5500#

I can verify that if you want me to.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmdunham2