TPMS System Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wlk4938

Reaction score
Hello,

Im new and have a 2018 Expedition Max Platnium with about 53,000 miles on it.

I just put a new set of tires on the truck, and bought 4 new Schrader OEM equivilent sensors to go with it because i had 1 fail a month or 2 back. The original tire place couldnt get any of the 4 sensors to get picked up by the car, and thier scan tool did pick up the sensors and they did read 0 before installed in the tires. They said it probably didnt have enough voltage to pick up if they sat awhile, so thats fine.

I took it to the local ford dealer, and they couldnt get them to read either. we drove the car plenty this weekend (over 300 miles, so it wasnt the fact it wasnt driven). They tried "both" of thier tools and couldnt get either to work. I find it hard to believe that 4 brand new OEM equivilent sensors fail to be programed or were faulty all together.

This is what i bought to install: Schrader 29020, which are the exact same as the motorcraft branded originals with out the motorcraft stamp on them.

I've tried the push button start re-learn and while i can get it to go into learn mode, it wont learn the left front to start the process.

Currently the left front and left rear both read either 0 or 1 depending, and both the right front and right rear read nothing (----). Ive looked to see if theres some kind of module reset, or what fuse or relay i could pull, but cant find anything specifically that says TPMS module in the fust block diagrams.

Anything online for the modules for a diagram sucks, but i can at least find the part numbers for 2 modules to potentially see if those were faulty.

Im hoping someone has some experience on what to do, because at this point i have to either redo the whole thing, or not have the feature, and id rather have the feature if its possible. The dealer doesnt seem to want to troubleshoot anything, just charge me 600 bucks to buy new sensors and install them.

Thanks for the help!

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had an issue with a single replacement sensor I bought at Discount Tire. When I picked it up, they said it was good to go, but it never synced up with the system. I took it back and they did what they referred to as a "hard reset," and it worked. I know that they didn't replace it because the car was never moved from where I parked it. If I were you, I'd go back to the original tire place and see if they can attempt a similar procedure. If that doesn't work, you should politely request that they pick up some Ford sensors and swap them out. Since they may have sold you non-functional parts, they'll get their money back from their supplier and, for what you've already been through it would be a smart move on their part not to charge anything additional.