TPMS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TJ Toronto

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I have a 2011 Expedition Max Limited and I use winter tires on steel rims.
The TPMS puts a message on my message centre that says “ tire pressure sensor fault”. Which I get because I didn’t put sensors on the winter rims. Sometimes the flashing “tire” light and message do not come on for 30-40 min after I start driving, other times they come on right away when I start the truck. The other day I noticed the message on the message centre said “tire pressure monitor fault”. I guess I’m wondering if 1: was I imagining it when it said sensor fault or 2: could it be two faults the mean the same thing. I can’t seem to find much in my manual about the two messages that are being shown.
Any insight would be much appreciated.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s possible that a certain number of ignition cycles with a sensor fault will trigger the monitor fault. The computer may assume that since it hasn’t received any TPMS signals in X cycles that there must be a problem with the monitor.

I verified in the service manual that it can and does display both TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR FAULT and TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR FAULT, you weren’t imagining it. They are both categorized as “warning messages that return after a condition has been cleared then reoccurs within the same ignition ON-OFF” so they can appear and reappear multiple times in the same startup cycle (just like DRIVER DOOR AJAR and others.)

OP
OP
T

TJ Toronto

Reaction score
Thank you guys for your reply’s. I really appreciate your time to look into it and answer me.
I do in fact keep my summer tires in the garage right beside where I park. It never even crossed my mind.

Thanks again!

TJ

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
My 2000 wheels, have some marks from the balance weights. If coated weights had been used, they still look near perfect. Winter rims are not really required anymore.

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After a time, the summer wheels with TPMS should go into 'sleep' mode if they are not moved...if you are still getting the squirly readings after a couple of weeks, then I would suspect you have another issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition