Trade in Expedition for Navigator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was tempted a bit with the Navi and took some for extended / overnight test drives. I just couldn't find any with the necessary options i was looking for (HDTow, Bench second). Most had the center console/captains, which for me is the worst case with kids.

Navi is definitely a smooth ride, but I found it a bit less connected than the expedition on the road (Expy felt a bit more alive on road).

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup, the captains chairs with the center console aren't exactly kid friendly for families with 3 kids or more! I did notice the Reserve package seems to have a handful with captains chairs and no center console, that's what I'd be after.

@Deadman I know what you mean about buying inflated. Had I done this initially I would have bought the Navi at a 10% cheaper price most likely but now the spread theoretically could be a bit more with both cars appreciating 10%. We're in a similar situation with our house. 40% appreciation in our area in 4 years means that more expensive larger house is very very very expensive now.

Interesting to hear that the driving dynamics of the Navi aren't quite as connected, I think a few have mentioned that. I'll need to get behind the wheel to check that out.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Personally, not interested in such an upgrade. I prefer our Platinum Expy MAX to Navigator. Why? I had a loaner Navigator and my impressions were - you're just flaunting wealth everywhere you go. Everyone looks at you as the guy with cash pouring out of his wallet. Pull into a parking garage in Manhattan? Everyone expects tips, or you better photograph every square inch of your vehicle before they check it in. A guy asking for change at a red light? He's going to single you out and make it his day to collect something. Get into a fender-bender? Expect the other party to claim injury because the guy with the Navigator has cash and is probably well-insured. Lastly, perception. Everywhere you go you'll stick out like a sore thumb. Unless you live in town where Navigators and Escalades are standard-issue soccer-mom mobiles, expect to be the rich guy in the crowd.

Personally, I just don't care to draw that type of attention. I use it as a daily in addition to hauling our family around. Often park at Home Depot parking lot to get things for the house. Often have my 5x9' utility trailer hooked up. I can't imagine doing any type of towing with the Navi. It's more of a VIP limousine than a everyday car. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do like the stealthy aspect of the Expy but I also do live in “that town” where a Navigator isn’t anything special and is a dime a dozen.

Cant say out in the burbs I valet a whole lot but in the city I could see that being painful.

I guess I’m asking the wrong crowd about the upgrade since this is the Expy forum haha.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Let me ask this, what are the top 3 benefits of the Navigator upgrade vs Expy for those that have both or made the switch?

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Let me ask this, what are the top 3 benefits of the Navigator upgrade vs Expy for those that have both or made the switch?

The seats is the only one I've found.

Otherwise its just a bigger PITA. I hate the throw on POS wanna-be I-pad on the dash that was a total after thought, I hate the stupid shift buttons, etc.... Its really no better. My wife wishes daily that hers was an Expedition because of this stuff.......

grumpyoleman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agree on the seats. We road trip ... alot ... and the Navi is so much more comfortable for us on a long trip. Funny thing is, the Expy was excellent, but the Navi is that good and more for road tripping.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The seats is the only one I've found.

Otherwise its just a bigger PITA. I hate the throw on POS wanna-be I-pad on the dash that was a total after thought, I hate the stupid shift buttons, etc.... Its really no better. My wife wishes daily that hers was an Expedition because of this stuff.......

haha well damn, it's too bad your Navi is having so many problems otherwise I'd say let's trade!

The seats and a better suspension would make it worthwhile for me. The iPad like screen is pretty obnoxious, I think the new models will be even worse unfortunately with a big vertical screen!

Anymore Positives? All the written reviews and video reviews talk about how amazing the interior quality is. Would you say it actually does offer better quality? Less creaking maybe? I hate plastic everywhere in my car. Coming from Lexus and Acura they do a good job of limiting that but Ford obviously gives zero sh*ts about using boring looking plastic.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agree on the seats. We road trip ... alot ... and the Navi is so much more comfortable for us on a long trip. Funny thing is, the Expy was excellent, but the Navi is that good and more for road tripping.

See, this is what I like to hear!

I somewhat need to be convinced here to make this upgrade. @Deadman definitely isn't trying to convince me haha.

Roadtrips is where the expedition disappoints me a little. It's nice for around town, handles nice enough, can toss my kids stuff in and out without caring TOO much and having weathertec all over doesn't look terrible in that type of truck. But for long road trips, I want to be coddled in a NICE leather seat not a disappointing questionable materials "leather" seat. I also got the tan color interior (which I like more than black) but the color looks like it's straight out of 1999, not tan but more of an ugly tan. I'd love a nice saddle brown or light tan legit leather to sink in for an 8-12hr trip. Heads Up Display for roadtrips would be pretty clutch as well.

Does the Lane Keep Assist on the Navigator work any better than the Expedition? I assume it's not lane centering but just Lane Keep that bounces you off the lines?

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
haha well damn, it's too bad your Navi is having so many problems otherwise I'd say let's trade!

The seats and a better suspension would make it worthwhile for me. The iPad like screen is pretty obnoxious, I think the new models will be even worse unfortunately with a big vertical screen!

Anymore Positives? All the written reviews and video reviews talk about how amazing the interior quality is. Would you say it actually does offer better quality? Less creaking maybe? I hate plastic everywhere in my car. Coming from Lexus and Acura they do a good job of limiting that but Ford obviously gives zero sh*ts about using boring looking plastic.

The interior is hands down nicer no doubt, but honestly I'm not a fancy kinda person, so that does nothing for me. But it is by far nicer. I really can't use the interior for anything, so its not important at all to me personally. I'm more of a function guy....

When you say the "better suspension would make it worthwhile"...... My 302A Expedition rides far smoother than this Black Label Navigator does. The Navigator has extremely stiff suspension, you can feel EVERY joint in the highway if it's concrete. My expedition is much softer and far more comfortable. My kids are 6 and 8 and they always say, "Moms Navi rides super rough compared to yours dad!". We all agree my Expedition is far more comfortable riding, but the seats are better in Navigator. When we go cross country we take my Expedition because its so much smoother, AND because the POS Navigator we have rarely runs. lol.

If you have kids to put in the 2nd row, you will HATE the Navigator. The Navigators front seats are literally 3-4X as THICK front to back as the Expedition front seats, so when you go to put kids into the second row of the Navigator there isn't crap for room between the front seats and the 2nd row seats. Its horrible, my wife hates that about hers and then hers has the TV's in the seats, so they stick out another couple inches. Its like crawling into a compact car in comparison to mine for entry......

Not even trying to pick on the Lincoln, but honestly it just "over complicates everything" that is so simple in the Expedition. Some of the radio stuff can only be adjusted on that stupid screen, and I hate that.

The 4wd in the Lincoln is a hassle, you need to dick around with all those babysitter drive modes to find one that happens to have 4wd in it. My Ford I touch the 4A button on the console and forget about everything else. Again, it just over complicates EVERYTHING. If you like that complicated BS, then you will love it. I'm a mechanical guy that would rather have a 6 speed manual transmission in this thing. lol.

Oh, I do like the heads up display in the Lincoln. :)

Rear seat belts are airbag seatbelts, so most carseats say they will NOT be compatible, so check yours......

The mufflers on the Navigators beller like crazy, so if you like that racket you will enjoy hearing that exhausts ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the time. It drones enough that my wife took it back to dealer 3X for this and we decibel tested brand new ones and they are all identical and sound obnoxious in the cabin. My Expedition is 1/3 as loud in comparison. This is hands down my wifes single biggest complaint. Get it on the highway at 70 mph and set the cruise and then shut all the radio and blowers off and just listen to it droneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. UGH

They're not bad vehicles, but its just not my style I guess. Go drive one and see if you like it. :)