Trade in Expedition for Navigator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a 2019 CPO Expedition Special Edition in October and even with throwing on 8k miles KBB is saying my car has appreciated due to this crazy car market.

I want to bite the bullet and make the jump to the car I was really wanting to get previously but didn’t want to spend the cash.

Has anyone else made the jump from the Gen 4 Expy to the newer Nav that can provide their input? I’d go from Limited 302a Expy to the Nav with Reserve package as they seem to be comparable in terms of features but of course a few more on the Nav like heads up display and 24 or 30 way power seats.

Money isn’t really the concern. I have problems with my Expy with rattle (cam phasers replaced but still rattling) but I do have a 125k mile Ford extended warranty so not really worried I just want a car I can 100% be happy with as I’ve typically been a luxury car buyer and I believe with the Navigator I’d be happy for a while.

I know @Deadman hates it after reading his post!

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a Loaded Platinum and only just recently it seems lots of leased Navi’s are popping up in my area typically all blacked out. Its almost comical.
I’d rather have my HD Platinum than the lease package Ford has created and every yahoo with a cash flow for a lease now drives a 90k ride lol.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a Loaded Platinum and only just recently it seems lots of leased Navi’s are popping up in my area typically all blacked out. Its almost comical.
I’d rather have my HD Platinum than the lease package Ford has created and every yahoo with a cash flow for a lease now drives a 90k ride lol.

Yes, the Select and Premier packages they offered originally were sad for the price, huge rip off. Reserve is the value for the used market right now with all the options we have in our Expy’s and more.

I know they’re basically the same cars but would be nice to cash in on the appreciation of the Expy now!

Mid cycle refresh for the Nav is this year. I assume that wouldn’t affect the used Nav market though with lowering prices like it does for the remaining new models that aren’t freshed?

grumpyoleman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We just traded in our '18 XLT Max w/202 package on a '19 Navigator L. I was given just a few (like 5) thousand less than I paid for the Expy brand new. So yes, the used market is more than a little strange right now. Anyway, here is the highlights/lowlights in comparison;

Ride
I always loved my Expy's ride. Smooth and stable. But the Navigator is even smoother. I know someone else on this site says their Navi is harsh, but I don't see it, or rather "feel it".

Power
I know Navi has like 75 more HP and more torque, but I don't feel it. Probably because of increased weight, but my Butt Dyno says the Expy is quicker (I really wanted to say "sportier" but then I remembered this is an Expy we are talking about). But the Navi is still crazy quick for land yacht.

Handling
Navi has a more "luxury" feel to it while driving but is still very responsive. I will say, the Navi feels bigger while driving. I always felt the Expy drove smaller than it was. The Navi? Not so much. Not sure why since they are the same platform, but for me there is definitely a different feel. Not better/not worse - just different

Interior
This is what got me.... Ok, I am comparing a fully loaded XLT with a Navigator, I get it. A Platinum might not be so obviously worlds apart, but my goodness, the Navi is in a whole different class than everyone else when it comes to the materials and design of the interior. Can't explain it all, just gotta try one out for yourself.

You do lose some towing due to increased weight with the Navi.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks @grumpyoleman that’s exactly the type of info I’m looking for!

I get the ride and power might differ a little but for me it’s about owning the car for a while and loving it. I really like my Expedition but the interior is meh since I’m coming from smaller vehicles but more upscale manufacturers.

It seems like the jump up on interior quality and materials is night and day.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Navigators Horses only show up when you rev it to the moon. Down low my Expedition feels stronger.

The seats are great, but the headrest ****** me off as it hurts my neck.

I honestly don't think its worth the upgrade, but my Navigators also a POS so I'm a little biased.

I'd assume you will have to pay way too much for a Navigator in this market, so its gonna cost a bunch even if you get good money from yours.

grumpyoleman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Deadman brings up a good point. It does not matter if they give you inflated $'s for your trade if they charge you inflated $'s for your purchase. Makes it a wash.

I found a vehicle that was advertised well below book and negotiated a deal before bringing up our trade. To be honest, they were fairly strong on the first offer, but it took some old fashioned horse trading to get them to the point we were happy.

In the end, they sold my Expy already at a profit and we are happy with the deal we received.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Deadman brings up a good point. It does not matter if they give you inflated $'s for your trade if they charge you inflated $'s for your purchase. Makes it a wash.

I found a vehicle that was advertised well below book and negotiated a deal before bringing up our trade. To be honest, they were fairly strong on the first offer, but it took some old fashioned horse trading to get them to the point we were happy.

In the end, they sold my Expy already at a profit and we are happy with the deal we received.

Yes, I’d have to hold out for a good deal on the Navi (few and far between but they exist) and then negotiate the trade in. I have a dollar in mind that makes the trade worthwhile and if that can’t be achieved then it’s a no go.

I always like to approach anything in sales with the approach of how do we both benefit from this transaction so if I can find a dealer willing to play that game then it will work out.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, I’d have to hold out for a good deal on the Navi (few and far between but they exist) and then negotiate the trade in. I have a dollar in mind that makes the trade worthwhile and if that can’t be achieved then it’s a no go.

I always like to approach anything in sales with the approach of how do we both benefit from this transaction so if I can find a dealer willing to play that game then it will work out.

All this inflated market is doing is making you work with bigger numbers. You aren't saving any money. Both will be extremely hi, so you just pay that difference in the end. Its not gonna be as cheap as most people are expecting right now. First off you might not even find one, they can't even make the darn things right now.

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was tempted a bit with the Navi and took some for extended / overnight test drives. I just couldn't find any with the necessary options i was looking for (HDTow, Bench second). Most had the center console/captains, which for me is the worst case with kids.

Navi is definitely a smooth ride, but I found it a bit less connected than the expedition on the road (Expy felt a bit more alive on road).