Trailer Hitch access cover removal??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The step uses a pin the same as any other 2" receiver hitch. I'd have to remove it for towing because I wouldn't have access to the trailer lighting plugs with the cover in place. I'd never leave it like the last picture, that was just to show how I cut it to fit the step.

Fordalways

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello All!!

How the heck does the access cover for the trailer hitch come off?

I tried this the best I could (in poor weather, mind you) and it felt like the entire bumper was going to come with it?

How do you do this?
What am I not getting or doing wrong?

-DI

Welcome to the club. Initially the salesman couldn’t figure it out. When I came back, he had it off, said to pull up and out. He then installed it and I mistakenly didn’t try to get it off myself until I got home. Thought I was going to break something. The dealer is just down the street so I went back and watched him struggle a bit. What worked for him was to place his left knee agains the bumper just left of the cover, left hand pressing agains the bumper just right of the cover and then using the right hand to pull up and out. It’s not going to fall off by itself! Maybe with practice it will be easier or the latched will ease their grip in time.