Trans issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nikko84

Reaction score
I have a 2003 XLT 5.4. My truck will go in reverse but when you put it into drive, it acts like it's in neutral and doesn't go anywhere. I replaced the Output shaft speed sensor. It originally threw a p0720. All codes are good now. Nothing pops up on scanner. What would cause this? Any help is appreciated please.

OP
OP
Nikko84

Nikko84

Reaction score
The fluid level is good. I actually just replaced the fitting that goes I to the trans oil cooler. So all new fluid was put in the trans. It was about 13 quarts. Should there be more? The stick shows that it's good. I'm hoping it's not a broke tranny. I've been told that the neutral safety switch on the side could be the culprit. Could that cause it to act like this?

Laporterican

Reaction score
This is what my $1k '03 Navigator was doing when I bought it. The 4R100 would take a long time to shift into D, you could hear some slight racket from inside the transmission. So I tore it out and replaced it with a ZF5 5spd out of a Super Duty.

Will it eventually go into Drive after giving it some throttle?

Sad to say, It's probably toast. From my research, and past experience with my '99 F350, there's not much you can do with a E4OD/4R100 besides a complete rebuild, should run $2600-$3000. I fixed my F350 by swapping in a ZF6, definitely the best way to fix an automatic!

OP
OP
Nikko84

Nikko84

Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of. I've got the 4r70w. But either way, it's I'm thinking it's shot.

Speed 330

Reaction score
Yeah I had to transmission overdrive on my 06 go out I took it to the tranny man he completely rebuilt it beefed it up shifts real good toes better I paid $950 bucks for him to do everything of course I had to pull it out and put it back in but 950 was an excellent price