Transfer case, front axle, and rear diff fluid change.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
K

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad it went well. I don’t think red thread locker is the correct product! Removing it will be a big fight. The correct product is oil thread sealant. It is like a white gooey paste that replaces Teflon tape

Thanks for the advice. The factory plugs used red thread locker and they came out after I torched them for 30 seconds. I probably will buy new plugs when I change the fluid again in 50k miles :)

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I make it a habit of changing fluids early--early in the life of the vehicle--especially on my 4wds. Every vehicle I buy, I swear at the time I will "...keep it forever..." It rarely works out that way, but that's my mindset going in (also why I have a small cadre of friends who "lurk" around all my prior-owned vehicle sales to buy sight unseen b/c "they know how I take care of my vehicles") My whole life and career have been built around caution and mitigation of threats and yet, I'm still still fun at parties ;-). So it, makes sense that it carries over to any complex machine or people I care about.

Some vehicles I have done at 3K, 6K, others at 10K, and I will probably do this one at 25K. Believe or not, one of the worst offenders was the 3K rear diff fluid change of my 2011 Chevy Tahoe.

I have had fluid come out like it was brand new, and I have had stuff come out jet black. That suggested service schedule is a decision made under the scrutiny of lifetime service amortization. "Maintenance free" is a good selling point.

IMHO, vehicles and some parts take at least 8-10K to fully seat and break in. That is when it is hardest on the fluids and full of the most pollutants and debris. The rear end tend to always be the worst, I have found.

It is a personal decision, and not everyone is going to be right all the time, at every point, at every vehicle. But look at the rear end issues popping up here now. Could an early fluid change prevent it--reduce it? Make it worse even? Or using it once a month to remind the diff it has a clutch locker be the right answer? Both?

With all the factory installed complexity and shy dealers, consider getting a coupon and let them do it. Watch them if you can, and take pics of what comes out. I'd not want to takes this to a Jiffy/Mule & Fuel and have something go wrong with these spaceships. My recent experiences with Ford have not given me a good feeling about warranty claims. With some things, you want them on the hook.

Rant Switch--deactivated! :33:

OP
OP
K

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tackled the front axle and transfer case today after I bought two bottle of Mercon LV from Autozone around $9 each. The transfer case was super easy and those plugs came out with no effort since they do not have red thread locker. The fluid was still bright red and I put back around 1.8 quart. I'm surprise that our Expedition does not have the skid plate to protect the transfer case like the F150s.

The front axle required more effort. I had to remove the skid metal plate with 2 13mm bots, and the felt cover with 2 8mm and 1 13mm bots to gain access to the plug. Fill plug has red thread locker and with a little torch, it came out. The drain process took forever with a hand pump from Habor Freight. I pumped out around 1.5 quart and filled it with Valvoline 75-90 synthetic gear oil. The color is kind of light muddy instead of black like the rear differential.

I took the Exp out for a test drive in 4WD mode and I could feel the differences. I maintain most of my cars myself and I think cheap fluid change is better than issue later. I own most of Lexus and Acura, and this is my first Ford SUV since I tow a boat.

JoJoDaClown

Reaction score
I suggest changing the fluids. I don't care what Ford says for change interval. I changed front, rear, and transfer case at 50k miles and was very glad I did. The rear looked okay, expected color; Transfer case looked like burnt ATF, but likely as expected; Front diff was really bad. Black with a ton of shimmer in it.

SEPTIC PROFESSOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dude, Jiffy Lube has universal fluids that work in all vehicles. a lot of guys go there to save money by dropping their expees off there in the morning

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only reason I'd not change fluids earlier than theoretically required is if you have the high potential to do it wrong, break something in the process or use the completely wrong fluid.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dude, Jiffy Lube has universal fluids that work in all vehicles. a lot of guys go there to save money by dropping their expees off there in the morning

Why use a generic fluid on these sensitive components??!! It is only $100 in fluids every couple of years!

Overtow

Reaction score
I'm about to drain/fill the rear differential (and maybe the front too) since I had the "ELSD Reduced Torque" message. I was trying to get the details on fluid type/capacity and figured I'd share what I found here to save someone time in the future. Interestingly the manual says the rear axle is "considered lubricated for life" (bullet #2):

1658587185157.png
1658587362352.png

Link:

Here is the message I received (while towing my boat with a spare tire installed) that makes me want to replace the fluid (borrowed this picture from a different thread, this is not my truck)

1658587750805.png

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup, I'm also in the "useless as **** on a bull changing those fluids at 21K" camp...

That being said, I am also a huge fan of doing what I want, so, I'd say if that is what you want to do go for it, man! [emoji41]
Yup, it is his toy! Do what ya gotta do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graphite-INDITE