Transfer case won't shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nick8102

Reaction score
So I replaced my transfer case on my 1997 expedition with a 5.4 the transfer case I got was out of a 1998 expedition, now the transfer case motor will not turn I can put the motor on my old t case and it will turn. Now when I try to shift on the dash the 4x4 light won't come on and all I hear is a clicking from behind my dash.

Someone please help me here!

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Reset the PCM. I just posted this to another thread, "Before you do anything else, disconnect the battery leads and touch the two leads together for a minute or two. This will remove all residual power in the PCM. Make sure the switch is in 2wd or AWD and the transfer case arrow was also in this position when you install the new motor. Reconnect, start it and let it run for a minute then try shifting the switch. The transfer case motor has a position switch inside that goes bad. When this happens the PCM doesn't know where it is shifted and things go down hill from there. This procedure resets everything."