transmission fluid leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R0CK1TMAN

Reaction score
1998 Ford Expedition XLT 4.6L Automatic

Did some light off roading last weekend. Rampart Range Road in Monument, CO...awesome views! Any way, nothing eventful happened but today I noticed a fluid leak. Red fluid...eek! It definitely looks deep red like transmission fluid but the leak source is without a doubt coming from a hose connecting to the radiator. It is a metal conduit that connects to the radiator right below where the hose connection is for the coolant to return from the radiator to the coolant reservoir. I don't know what transmission fluid would be there for but I am an idiot. I used degreaser to clean underneath then ran it for a sec and there is no doubt this is the source.

I don't want to torque on the connection to tighten without putting it out there. Should I try to tighten or take it to a pro? Am I just way way off?

Thanks in advance,

Worried Guy

1998 Ford Expedition XLT 4.6L Automatic

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The trans cooler is inside of the radiator tank. Either the line is leaking or the fitting. Since you are in a "rusty bucket in winter state" I would suspect the lines before the fittings.
If you try to tighten them, use two wrenches, one on the large nut with a line wrench on the fitting. You don't want to twist the entire assembly or you will break the radiator.

OP
OP
R

R0CK1TMAN

Reaction score
The trans cooler is inside of the radiator tank. Either the line is leaking or the fitting. Since you are in a "rusty bucket in winter state" I would suspect the lines before the fittings.
If you try to tighten them, use two wrenches, one on the large nut with a line wrench on the fitting. You don't want to twist the entire assembly or you will break the radiator.

Thanks so much for your reply. I found another forum after some digging and found a user with a Ford Ranger and the same issue.

I lightly torqued the nuts and it was as simple as that.

I am new to putting a wrench on it and I assume everything is a major repair, thanks for your spot on reply!

"rusty bucket in a winter state"??? I do not follow?

StuntMan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
did the leak look something like this leak near the wheel arch?

Attachments

• 20150205_065936.jpg
    20150205_065936.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:

StuntMan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your reply. I found another forum after some digging and found a user with a Ford Ranger and the same issue.

I lightly torqued the nuts and it was as simple as that.

I am new to putting a wrench on it and I assume everything is a major repair, thanks for your spot on reply!

"rusty bucket in a winter state"??? I do not follow?
I think this the cause of my leak too, did your pipe fitting look all grimy too?

Attachments

• 2015-02-10 15.36.25.jpg
    2015-02-10 15.36.25.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 134