Transmission flush/spark plug replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phoenix101703

Reaction score
Hey everyone!!

1st, does anyone know when its a good time to do a transmission flush/fill?

2nd, when is it a good idea to get my spark plugs/wires replaced?

3rd and last, is it necessary to get a tune-up.....ever....?....even if everything appears to run well?

My '06 Expy has 106,000 miles. I have owned it since it had 62,000 miles on it and, to my knowledge, it has NEVER had a tune-up. I do change the oil on a regular basis and the only issue I've ever had was needing a new O2 sensor.....

thanks in advance for any help and/or suggestions....

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not do a tranny flush... maybe a filter change and the fluid that is lost during the tranny filter change....

I would do a tune up... while it may appear that your expy is running right, the plugs electrode is wearing down and you are losing spark... which means you are losing performance and MPGs... I changed mine when mine had 86K on OEM plugs and COPs (Coil On Plug) and wow it made a huge difference in response and power...

but with it being an 06 and the 3v motor be careful of changing the plugs they are known to snap while still in the heads... but they do make a tool for removal... or pay a garage and ask them before what their policy on charging for snapping plugs is before they start and then your wallet pays heavily for it

OP
OP
phoenix101703

phoenix101703

Reaction score
Thanks man. I actually just got back from a pretty reputable repair shop here in OR. They told me that a tune-up could cost me up to $1200!!! I'm not poor but I ain't rich by any means. Does that seem a little steep to you? If a tune-up is recommended by you (which I want to do) is it possible that this place is trying to overcharge me? Or, in your opinion, am I stuck paying some hefty amount for this tune-up? How much did your tune-up cost?
Thanks again for your help....

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine was fairly cheap but having the 2v motor... my problem was not enough threads on the heads so that plugs have been known to blow out of the head... but I ordered my COPs from global automotive (ebay) for just under 100 shipped for all 8.... dealer usually 40+ for one COP so times that by 8 your looking at 320$ just for COPs then plugs the dealer can charge high... I went to autozone and got autolite double plat for pretty cheap have seen dealers charge alot for plugs...one almost 25 a plug..http://fordexpeditionforum.com/showthread.php?t=1414

and the two piece plug that ford put into the 3v motors have been known to seize up and require a tool to remove the broken plug... or a hefty price to replace them

http://fordexpeditionforum.com/showthread.php?t=1491

here is another thread to read about the TSP ford put out on the plugs for the 3v motors... a couple of posts down

http://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/251668-ford-spark-plug-tool-2.html

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does this "tune-up" consist of? I've seen dealership "tune-up" lists, and while the list might seem pretty long, most of the items on the list are stuff you can check for free.

I'd probably drop the pan and change those 5 qts. Check the OEM gasket to see if it's in good condition. It is reusable.

As for the spark plugs, you're just past the OEM recommended interval. As mentioned by walnuts, since you have the 3V engine, read the TSB concerning spark plug removal. I'd consider also getting the removal tool.

Or, if you're going to have someone do it, shop around. Ask about their rate of success, their charge (can be flat, or cheaper flat + extra for each broken plug), if they follow the TSB, etc. Also consider the price of the plugs. You can get them cheaper online (rockauto.com has them for around 9 bucks each), as opposed to paying the almost $20 the dealer charges per.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69