Transmission Gearing...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Delerious

Reaction score
I am wondering if it is possible to change the gearing in the tranny to get better gas mileage? I am asking because my wife loves her truck but hates the gas. She has a 2005 2x4 xlt. I have already opened up the intake with a K&N filter and changed out the muffler to a free flowing one. Thank you for you help and info in advance.

Nick

OP
OP
D

Delerious

Reaction score
So what does the 4BT diesel have that is different than the basic automatic w/OD? Wait, do you mean swap out the engine or the tranny with one from a diesel expy? Sorry for my ignorance but most of my mechanical skills are with motorcycles.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what gear rato is in the differental you have now... and what type of driving is done the most city or hwy?

OP
OP
D

Delerious

Reaction score
Well it is all stock gearing and engine except for the filter and exhaust. She drives mostly city. Essentially I am looking for better gas mileage. Can a chip or programmer help? The only reason I keep it is because she feels safe driving it with our kids. Hell if she could she would put a lift and all the bells and whistles on it but her back won't let her climb up into it so we has to settle for tires. Wow, I'm rambling. Thanks for your help.

Nick

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you should have the 3.73 in the rear. Since you do a lot of city, I'd just keep it in there since it helps with acceleration. If you guys did more highway, I'd maybe consider a 3.55, but then you'd have to take into account the cost of the swap vs. the actual savings you are going to get.

The single best way to get better gas mileage is to keep the foot out of it. Keep it under 2k rpms. If it hasn't been changed in a while, consider the changing the gas filter. What oil are you running in there?

What pressure do you keep the tires at? The door sticker say 35 PSI on mine, but I usually bump it to 40. Obviously, don't exceed the max tire rating, though I think you'd be fine with 40.

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
a tuner can get you a lil bit of help in mpg. as the 4bt diesel he is talking about swapping the engine out for a diesel engine. but as elvato says keeping it under 2k rpm will help.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It really depends. If, with the added power, you can keep your foot out of it, it should gain you maybe 2-3 mpg, especially if you get the custom tuned one, and you let them know you have an intake and exhaust (or is it just the muffler?).

Again, you'll have to consider how long it will take you to make back the cost of the tuner in gas savings.