transmission hiccup in 2002 Exp.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BenJammin74

Reaction score
when I accelerate normally from a slow (5mph or less) roll the tranny seems to want to go into 2nd and then shifts into first with a slight jerk. it does not happen when accelerating from a dead stop.

OP
OP
B

BenJammin74

Reaction score
I have noticed it more lately, It has not done it in the past. It has over 85k on it so I am worried things are going to start to go wrong with it.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It could be something sticking in the valvebody. Since this is a downshift into 1st problem, there are no accumulators for the 2-1 shift, which normally cusion the blow when the gear engages. So an accumulator spring being broken wouldn't be the cause in this case.
Put some stuff called trans medic in it untill the problem disappears. It is basically a reallly concentrated detergent that would break loose any buildup that might be causing this issue. I would then get a complete system flush (with the machine designed for this).
If the problem persists you may just need some parts in the valvebody like the boost valve replaced.
Problems like the one you describe are and annoyance and not any reason to think the trans is about to die. Now if it is slipping that is another story.
Matt

OP
OP
B

BenJammin74

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I have been trying to pin down exactly when it happens, and I can make it do it rolling 10mph and then giving it gas, its like the trans computer can't decide what gear. it is not really that bad right now. I had the transmission fluid changed at the Ford dealership at 75k and I dont think it had ever been done. (it had 54k when I bought it). They flushed it out and replaced the filter and whatever else they do. I'll try adding that stuff and see if it goes away.
Thanks again