Transmission leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thomas D

Reaction score
2015 expedition

Small red puddle of trans fluid on garage flood.
Crawled under and see it’s leaking down from somewhere and hitting a crossover exhaust pipe and the drip on floor.
Pic enclosed

any ideas ?

ThanksEB322AD1-2D3F-414E-93DA-37005FC60D7B.jpeg

Attachments

• D42E9CB4-0D54-47F4-B0A5-E754F0D913DD.jpeg
    D42E9CB4-0D54-47F4-B0A5-E754F0D913DD.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 1

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2015 expedition

Small red puddle of trans fluid on garage flood.
Crawled under and see it’s leaking down from somewhere and hitting a crossover exhaust pipe and the drip on floor.
Pic enclosed

any ideas ?

ThanksView attachment 79717

The transmission fluid cooler lines are known weak spots. I would carefully examine them - they fail where the metal transitions to rubber (near the radiator).

I would be very cautious about driving the vehicle until the transmission fluid level is correct. You may have lost more fluid while driving.

Here is an excellent video regarding the transmission fluid lines used on the 2015 Ford Expedition and F-150: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cKMINhtANxI

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How can I even check level when dipstick is underneath.
Thanks Ford.

The transmission fluid level must be checked with the fluid at a certain temperature (and I think the engine running).

I added a video to my post #2.

Nvsteve

Reaction score
My 2011 was leaking. It was the seal where the wire harness goes into the side of the transmission housing. Common problem $400 fix including fluid and filter changes. Research it.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
As Nvsteve mentions above, the bulkhead connector is the fitting that runs control wires through the transmission case. It's a common leak point, and requires the pan to be dropped and an "O" ring replaced. Fluid drips out of it onto the pan flange and it looks like the pan is leaking.

A $25 fix yourself or $ 850 at New York dealers.

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just dealt with this, my trans was leaking at the front and it was dripping over everything including the crossover.

Mine was a leaky bulk head connector as well as the pan gasket. It was less than $50 for parts and about 2 hours to complete methodically.

Be sure to have the mechanic install a new trans filter when he's in there.

OP
OP
T

Thomas D

Reaction score
Just dealt with this, my trans was leaking at the front and it was dripping over everything including the crossover.

Mine was a leaky bulk head connector as well as the pan gasket. It was less than $50 for parts and about 2 hours to complete methodically.

Be sure to have the mechanic install a new trans filter when he's in there.

OP
OP
T

Thomas D

Reaction score
Here is photo of the leak. The red is what leaks overnight (sometimes more) and the yellow is the coolant I put there for photo purp.
After all day at shop the shop told me they looked at the leak (red) and it was in fact a coolant leak. “In the turbo cooling line”.
This doesn’t make sense at all to me.
They did say repairs were beyond them and to take it to Ford.