Transmission Question for ‘21 & ‘22 owners.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TsmH

Reaction score
So do think Ford has fixed the clunking and hard downshift issues? I have a 2019 and won’t get another expedition if they haven’t figured this out. Thanks.

Wnomis

Reaction score
I went from a 18 to a 21 and the transmission is quieter in my opinion. It can also be a case by case thing as I made Ford rent me a Expedition whenever my 18 had to go to the dealer for warranty work and I had two different expys both 19s at different times and both transmissions were quieter then my 18.

texevora

Reaction score
don't think the OP is referring to quietness. It's the slamming into gear issue that all 10R80 transmissions have been experiencing at times. My Expedition has been in for the same issue at least half a dozen times and is going back again today. I have a '22 on order but I'm in the same boat as the OP. I'll be damned if i'm going to pay to move to a new one just to have the exact same issues.

My car would undoubtedly be a lemon if i hadn't exceeded the mileage limit (i'm hitting 61K miles after 28 months of ownership).

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
God I hope the transmission is better. That’s the main reason we need to get rid of our ‘18 is because of the transmission issues we’ve had. I just hope it holds up until we can get our new one built and delivered.

OP
OP
T

TsmH

Reaction score
don't think the OP is referring to quietness. It's the slamming into gear issue that all 10R80 transmissions have been experiencing at times. My Expedition has been in for the same issue at least half a dozen times and is going back again today. I have a '22 on order but I'm in the same boat as the OP. I'll be damned if i'm going to pay to move to a new one just to have the exact same issues.

My car would undoubtedly be a lemon if i hadn't exceeded the mileage limit (i'm hitting 61K miles after 28 months of ownership).
YES! That’s the issues I’m speaking of. Congratulations on the new one coming to you. I hope someone can let us know if the problem remains.

jerjudyangel

Reaction score
I went from a 18 to a 21 and the transmission is quieter in my opinion. It can also be a case by case thing as I made Ford rent me a Expedition whenever my 18 had to go to the dealer for warranty work and I had two different expys both 19s at different times and both transmissions were quieter then my 18.
I have a 21 in the shop right now with the transmission slam from park to drive only. It only has 1,600 miles on it. I wll post what they say once I get it back.

Wnomis

Reaction score
I have a 21 in the shop right now with the transmission slam from park to drive only. It only has 1,600 miles on it. I wll post what they say once I get it back.
I guess I have gotten lucky with not experiencing it with the 21 I have. Just rolled over 6k miles and still no slam or any other transmission issues. They don’t start…..

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think this issue is super common. My 2019 doesn't do anything weird with the transmission. In fact I absolutely love the transmission.

texevora

Reaction score
It is very common. Ford just won't admit it due to warranty exposure. Google 10R80 transmission issues and you will see all sorts of problems across several Ford vehicle platforms.

Ronghua

Reaction score
my 2018 has 48k miles on it. transmission failed last month, still in dealer's place. Luck bought the extended warranty. But if this issue always sticks around, definitely move on to other brands. Ford really did not handled my case very decently.