Transmission Shudder after Transmission Service at Dealer

What to do?

• Add Lubguard Transmission Shudder fix

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Drive it a while and have another shop look at it. $3500 is pretty high. A torque converter is only $250-300 part. A used transmission is around $500-1000. R+R is around 2-3 hours, @ $150/hr. Does it shudder when you are slowing down(foot off the gas)? That is a bad TC. A shudder is a loss of fluid pressure and could be a misdiagnosed bad TC. There also would be black stuff/specks of clutch in the fluid, from clutches locking up. I have heard of a product called Dr. Tranny shudder fix.
A locking TC produces the same issue when the friction pads can't grip the input shaft. The locking motor cycles on and off, rapidly, producing the "shudder" or "rumble strip" sensation.

Shudder fix in a can is just a friction additive, and does nothing to fix the worn pads...it just makes them stickier, along with everything else in the tranny. Which is why you should never put it in.

In the OPs case, I still say they put the wrong fluid in, and the TC can't lock the way its supposed to.

OP
OP
WiscoGus

WiscoGus

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your insight into this issue. I can finally say that the saga is over. The dealer I purchased the expedition from was having an excellent trade-in sale last weekend. I originally went to look at a 14 King Ranch Expy with 100k miles, but a tree fell on it on the dealers lot. The dealer gave an insanely good trade offer and I walked out with a 2014 Explorer Sport

Thanks again everyone, its been fun being a part of the Expedition community!