Transmission Shudder after Transmission Service at Dealer

What to do?

• Add Lubguard Transmission Shudder fix

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WiscoGus

Reaction score
Last week, I had my transmission serviced at the Ford Quicklane. They dropped the pan, exchanged fluid and replaced the transmission filter. Now after getting a hundred or so miles on it, the trans has developed a shudder that feels like running over rumble strips.

From research online, this issue appears to be linked to plugs/coils or the torque converter. The vehicle did not have this shudder prior so I have trouble believing its ignition related. So my question is how should I go about resolving this?

If anyone else has had this issue before I am all ears to hear what you have done.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last week, I had my transmission serviced at the Ford Quicklane. They dropped the pan, exchanged fluid and replaced the transmission filter. Now after getting a hundred or so miles on it, the trans has developed a shudder that feels like running over rumble strips.

From research online, this issue appears to be linked to plugs/coils or the torque converter. The vehicle did not have this shudder prior so I have trouble believing its ignition related. So my question is how should I go about resolving this?

If anyone else has had this issue before I am all ears to hear what you have done.
Rumble strips is classic example of failing clutch packs in rear diff. Just had mine replaced on my 16 three months ago. They upgraded them to carbon fiber. As for rumble strips from transmission, may just be the new fluid is working itself in there, it’s only been 100 miles. What year expedition is it?

OP
OP
WiscoGus

WiscoGus

Reaction score
Expy is a 2008 with 220k miles on it. Its headed back to Ford tomorrow AM. They wanted to make sure that they did their work right and put the right amt of fluid in.

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My guess would be they didnt add enough fluid back in. Does the shudder happen around 45-50 mph right about when shifting into OD? Try turning OD off and see if it goes away.

OP
OP
WiscoGus

WiscoGus

Reaction score
Havent tried OD yet. Shudder seems to happen after cruising and then the trans trying to downshift to accelerate. I'll have to watch and see if it happens at a certain speed, its difficult to tell whats vehicle vs Wisconsin roads.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score

With the timing involved between "Service" and "rumble", I'd suspect they put the wrong type of tranny fluid in.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With the timing involved between "Service" and "rumble", I'd suspect they put the wrong type of tranny fluid in.

Twice, the “Factory Trained Technicians” at my Ford dealership installed 5W20 oil in the engine on my 2015 Expedition Limited, instead of the required 5W30.

Once, the “Factory Trained Technicians” at my Ford dealership installed eight quarts of 5W30 oil in the engine on my 2015 Expedition Limited, instead of the required six.

I no more trust the Ford dealership technicians to service my Ford correctly anymore than I trust the 18-year olds at the local quick-lube places.

Good luck - I hope the dealership did not screw up your transmission.

OP
OP
WiscoGus

WiscoGus

Reaction score
@bobmbx you may be right. I was looking at the receipt and it stated that they installed Mercon LV. If I had to make an educated guess, my Expy had Mercon SP in it (as per the 2008 Owner's Manual) which would not be compatible with Mercon LV.

Now if that was the case, I am unsure of how it would affect the transmission long term.

Last edited:

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mercon LV is the newer stuff and is what's recommended in my 2010's owner's manual with the same transmission. They likely just didn't add enough.

OP
OP
WiscoGus

WiscoGus

Reaction score
The repair receipt stated that they added 7 quarts when the specification is 11. My assumption is that they added whatever came out when they dropped the pan. So I suppose there are two possiblities: mixing incompatible fluids or filling the transmission 4 quarts low.

This is what the bottle of Mercon LV says regarding compatiblity:
  • Not for use in applications where MERCON V, MERCON SP, Continuously Variable Chain Type Transmission Fluid, Motorcraft Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid, FNR5 Automatic Transmission Fluid or Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended
I do Product Support for a large agricultural equipment company and I have seen the negative side effects of mixed transmission or mixed hydraulic fluids. I wish I would have thought to specify Mercon SP. Although, one would hope that the dealer would know.