Transmission swap - still not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caleb Boyer

Reaction score
Working on a 2003 expedition. Started having issues with transmission. Front start up, it didn’t want to go right into gear, acted like it was still in neutral. Mash on throttle a little, it would jump into gear and go no problem. Pulling up to stop light, it would act like it fell into neutral, same thing, Mash the gas, it would jump into gear. Eventually, this got worse, and one day it wouldn’t move at all. I had reverse, but no forward gears at all. Fluid smelled burnt. Dropped pan, changed fluid and filter, but didn’t help. No metal shavings in fluid, but the plug was in the pan and had over 200k miles and pan had never been dropped before, so obviously good amount of clutch dust on magnet.

So... I purchased a transmission from a friend, came out of a 99 F-150. Everything appears to be exactly the same. So I put it in this weekend. I had to use one sensor of my old transmission. Prongs inside were the same, casing on outside was different so my wiring harness wouldn’t fit on it, so swapped it out. Also, I used my black box module that is on the shift linkage, not his. Fit the same, but the clip wouldn’t lock into his, so I swapped it.

fired car up this morning, it still wouldn’t move :( could the shift module box be bad? What gives?