Truck trying to engage in AWD or 4x4..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

meadows11

Reaction score
My truck makes a grinding noise from the left front. It seems like it is trying to engage in AWD or 4x4 while driving. This does not happen while the truck is stopped. I've had the wheel bearing replaced, control arm and axle. It still seems to act up every once in a awhile (not all the time). When this does happen, I'm driving in 2H, once the grinding noise starts, I stop and shift to AWD and the grinding noise stops. Any thoughts?

Moemantha

Reaction score
Iwe solenoid or the iwe itself. If only on one side I would say the iwe, since the solenoid controls both.a good place to start would be to check the line for leaks.

Moemantha

Reaction score
Check at the hub at the iwe where the line runs to. Pull the big line off, see if its pulling vacuum when the truck is running. If it isnt trace the line back to the iwe solnoid on the firewall behind the battery.

bubbadabulldawg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One of my 4wd vacuum hubs went bad creating a real bad vibration in the driveline while driving to the point I was seeing double out of the mirrors which caused my transfer case to crack the adapter between the transmission and transfer case and also the transmission itself while doing 70 mph on the highway! I replaced both sides and the solenoid. But that was after I replaced all the universal joints on the front and rear driveshafts and had them rebalanced and checked for trueness and all 4 wheel bearing hubs because they started to have play in them and thought that was the source of the vibration!