Truck won't start....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We aren't home. At a campground and of course it isn't warm out. My truck turns over but won't start. I checked the fuel pump fuse, it's good. I tried the switch in back where the air pump switch would be on some expeditions. I thought when I pushed it, it clicked. But tried to start it and nothing. I have VERY limited tools with me. No meter, no screw drivers, do have a needle nose though.

What can I check or try? PLEASE help!!

Boddkr

Reaction score
Mine just started doing the same thing! It's cold where I am as well and I don't know of that has to do with it. Good luck I will follow this post and see what advice you receive

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you turn the key over before you crank do you hear the fuel pump pressurize? I’ll start googling around your model year.

Have someone listen under the truck for the 2-second prime. It should clearly pressurize.

John Stephan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fuel pump control module is on the drivers side frame rail next to the spare. Very prone to corrosion and failure. Usually rot on the back side where aluminum case touches the frame. Usually finally gives up when driving in wet conditions or recent wet conditions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you have no prime Skip to 7:30, he gets it jumped out and started with minimum tools/supplies.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If memory serves me correctly the 2003-2004 had fuel pump relay issues in the smart junction box. There is a thread on here by bedrck47 that walks you through the steps to jump the relay in the sjb.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With only needle nose pliers it's pretty tough to diagnose much. Flip the key to the ON position and see if you're getting good fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel rail ( hey you can do this with your needle nose pliers ! ). If no fuel pressure try swapping the top row relays around in the fuse box. Those three across the top are the same part number so you can swap 'em around. The top right relay is the PCM relay that ties in with the fuel pump micro relay to run the fuel pump. Other than that, how's your AAA membership ?

OP
OP
johnboneske

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have towing with my insurance company, so if I have to I'll use them. Anyone here have a camper? Wonder what if anything my Good Sam membership covers? Its light out here now, thank God it isn't miserably cold. I will start checking a few things. I don't hear the fuel pump, but will crawl under it and have my wife then the key and see what happens.

OP
OP
johnboneske

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was able to get our camper home. Truck still sitting. I watched the video and did all he did, except when it came to the fuse box, I am 180° off. My fuse, and relay are good, running 12v to the green/yellow wire doesn't kick my pump on, which would mean a bad pump. Gonna order it, the best part is my gas tank is full!

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine was having trouble in the past. Had to pull the fuse panel at passenger kick panel, take it all the way down & solder 1 leg at the backside of the circuit board that had heated & become loose. The fuel pump relay plugs into this. Take pictures of fuses before disassembly. May want to see if there are any PnP yards around to pull another.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360