trying to decide on a 2000 EB. price/issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

troutsc

Reaction score
Found a 2000 EB/2wd/5.4L. Local car, same owner for the last 10 yrs. 121k miles.

I took a long test drive today, car felt good, nothing stood out to me an an issue. Sunroof doesnt work (not a deal breaker) everything else seemed to work besides the passenger unlock didnt work all the time from the remote (common i think) and the dvd player wont play through the audio system, theres a fm modulator dealio but it has lost power but dvds play fine and get sound from the headphones, which is how it would ever be used anyways. I think thats the only things noticed.

The carfax is clean, body is perfect. Paint could really use a good waxing. Interior was whole, could use a good detailing. The leather looked Ok, crinkly but no tear/rips. Steering wheel needs a cover thrown on it.

Most in my area are approaching 200k miles. I felt that finding a same owner long term with only 121k was a good find and with some elbow grease this could be a nice clean ride.

From what I see online, prices are all over the place. We are at $4300 as is on this one. He came down some to account for the detailing but it firm at this price due to the lower miles and the fact that hes owned it for 10 yrs and isnt hurting to make a sale. So assuming these are the only issues and drivetrain is sound, is this a decent deal?

edit- its a southeast car, no rust below. I did see some on the roof rack railing up top when i climbed up there. Assuming I can recoat those.

Last edited:

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it is approaching the mileage for front end repair ( ball joints tie rods etc) has the trans been serviced? other than that i think i would put $4000 in his face and see if he bites

OP
OP
T

troutsc

Reaction score
thanks for the super quick replies! I have him looking for the punch list of what they did on the 100k service. I know no work was done to the ball joints/ tie rods, I imagine most of what I find will be approaching that soon. Hes only been doing basic service, oil/brakes/tires and did the 100k.

My goal is to find one like this thats been 1owner and keep it going and try to squeeze out another 100k. Ive had luck in the past with older bmw e36s, 4runners, but havnt ever had an expedition. I do see alot of them on the road and for sale that are + 200k so figured theres some possibilities there. From what I gather, the 5.4s also came with the more 'desired' tranny as well, right?

Ill probably also pay for a pre-purchase inspection. Found a local remote service for $95.

Also, the leather, I just began to research, but Im assuming there are some decent cleaning/reconditioning products out there that can make a difference.

Swetrid

Reaction score
Seems like a lot for a 2wd to me. I do agree with what state/area you are in. You can get 4wd around here for $2500-$4000 all day long. I got mine for free because previous didn't want to put the money into it and it only has 100k on my 2000 XLT sport.

GaExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With that mileage it is probably getting close to the infamous "intake manifold crossover coolant leak" if its a 5.4L with the plastic intake manifold. Do a google search for more info. Its out there. Just went through it myself. BTW I'm in Ga. and I gave $3500.00 for my 2000 EB Expy earlier this year with 140,000 miles. Everything on it was in working order with just normal wear on the seats, and 4 brand new tires. I have since had to fix the leaky windshield, the abs pump stayed on one day after I parked it so I unplugged it till I can get it fixed, repaired a wire feeding the passenger side seat heater, and just replaced the intake manifold because of the leak.

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I paid $4200 for my99 EB 5.4 AWD (127k miles) in Aug 2012. There were a bunch around cheaper, but this one was from Phoenix and had no body rot. Everything that's been in upstate NY for any length of time is pretty much rotted so I paid a bit more and felt okay about it. I've since put about $3200 into it and am about to redo the top end of the engine due to an external head gasket leak. That will take me well into the $8k invested range so you can bet I will be running this one into the ground. Hoping for 220-250k miles out of it.