trying to install HID low beams on my 2018 expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh good job trolling. Explain the illegality of it.
Taking the manufacturers product, cutting it open and putting something else that wasn’t tested specifically with that product into it, trying to reseal it, and putting it back on there. Sounds way more “illegal” than just tossing in a set of quality plug n play LEDs...

But you obviously know wayyyy more than anyone else here about vehicular optics

RhinoQuartz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Taking the manufacturers product, cutting it open and putting something else that wasn’t tested specifically with that product into it, trying to reseal it, and putting it back on there. Sounds way more “illegal” than just tossing in a set of quality plug n play LEDs...

But you obviously know wayyyy more than anyone else here about vehicular optics

.... What? Do you read what you type?

Retrofitting the correct housings is actually the correct thing to do. It ain't cheap, and it ain't easy. But visibility and light containment will better for everyone involved.

Did your ego seriously get that hurt because I pointed out PnPs aren't really that safe and that the ones you bought and use aren't certified as road legal by the DOT?

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The new trucks do have running fog lights and its best to use them in unison with the headlights. Only thing i dnt like is you cant run the fog lights on the auto setting together, its one or the other.

For 75k, the truck comes with the led setup and noone complains about that setup, the issue is, their optional and only on the higher trims when it should be std this day and age. Also, what hurts the halogen performance is the design of the projector housing, which instead of focusing the light makes a cutoff pt too low to be useful in a vehicle the size of the expy.

Lastly, you cant retrofit the led lenses and headlight to the ones without, the fitment for the hosuings are different and wont allow the swap. This has been talked about alot in the beginning of the 4th gen days

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The new trucks do have running fog lights and its best to use them in unison with the headlights. Only thing i dnt like is you cant run the fog lights on the auto setting together, its one or the other.

Really? So you have to turn the headlamp control out of auto-lamp and into "low beam on" to use your fogs? That's annoying. I know on my '16 I can use the fog lights in auto-lamp mode. There's probably a forscan tweak you could do to allow you to run fog lights in auto-lamp mode.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That just sounds wrong. Headlights should just be right, right off the showroom no matter what trim level. I had the #6014 sealed beam glass headlights on my old 1970 Datsun 240Z. They were fantastic, low beam was sufficient for 70 percent of my driving. It lit up the skyway. I was impressed from day 1. It's sad, with all this high tech crap 49 years later, they can't even make a headlight as bright as my old car. Every day it's something new we have to change, or adjust down to. What's next? 60 year old eyes need better, not worse headlights. Time to call your old eyes congressman and see how he'd like it driving himself home, instead of his young heavily armed driver, who can see like a raccoon!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In auto lamp mode, the truck cntls when to turn the fl on, and it only does during very extreme low light conditions.

RhinoQuartz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In auto lamp mode, the truck cntls when to turn the fl on, and it only does during very extreme low light conditions.

Which is the point of not having them on with low beams. Having the fog lights on in normal lighting conditions doesn't really help with seeing further, only a bit more peripheral vision, and can actually make it more difficult to see into the distance as your eyes aren't accustomed to the dark as well because your foreground is so lit up.

Additionally, depending on your jurisdiction, there may be a limit to how many lights you can have going at one time.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
See, that's why I raised my fog lights up quite a bit. Mine too were just a wider path, with no height. I have a big wall behind my place. About the size and height of a handball court. I raised each up about 2 feet on the wall, parked back about 10-12 feet. It made a world of world of difference on my Suv. I had to do a little tweaking over the next few days, but got it to where it works. Does the Gen 4 lights have an adjustment like the early ones do?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

old codger

Reaction score
16Plati, when you used the leds did you find an easy way to adjust them. With these newer headlights adjusting most leds are a pain in the xxs. Most leds are adjusted by rotating the collar which is a pain because the adjustment requires removing the complete assembly, possibly numerous times to get desired light cut off.

Last edited:

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
16Plati, when you used did you find an easy way to adjust them. With these newer headlights adjusting most leds are a pain in the xxs. Most leds are adjusted by rotating the collar which is a pain because the adjustment requires removing the complete assembly, possibly numerous times to get desired light cut off.
Hey @old codger on my 16 there is an adjustment screw accessible just by opening the hood. Set it up 25’ away from a white wall in garage and measure the height from level ground to 3”. Turn your lights on and adjust each bulbs left side cutoff until both are level to the 3” mark. Should look like this when done CA671816-3FB5-45C8-BEE4-38BF2B9F4E4F.jpeg