TSB 23-2120 Results in Transmission Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
We had what is now known as TSB 23-2120 Neutral Out - complete loss of power in our 2019 Max. The wife experienced on three occasions (approximately at 15kmi, 25kmi, and 37kmi) where the vehicle had a complete loss of power at highway speeds, press the gas all the way to the floor and nothing happens, no engine revving..no power…and wrench light flashed. The first two times we took it to the dealer and they were unable to find anything in terms of codes, the last time they actually found the codes.

This last time we took it in they were able to find the codes and proceeded with the TSB fix. Dealer took apart the transmission and found numerous warped/burnt parts within the transmission per the TSB. They proceeded with a complete rebuild a transmission, not a replacement. It was in the shop for about 10 days and currently runs strong with a noticeable difference in the way it drives/shifts.

All in all, the truck is an absolute beast and serves our family very well as we have five kids. However, I’m pretty disappointed with this issue. We’ve had multiple rear end issues as well. I’m definitely concerned about long term reliability as we tend to put a lot of miles on our vehicles. When I asked a dealer, why don’t they just replace it with a new transmission from the factory, they responded that Ford does not like us to just replace the transmission, they like us to rebuild them. Whatever the case, it’s definitely concern for me moving forward.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We had what is now known as TSB 23-2120 Neutral Out - complete loss of power in our 2019 Max. The wife experienced on three occasions (approximately at 15kmi, 25kmi, and 37kmi) where the vehicle had a complete loss of power at highway speeds, press the gas all the way to the floor and nothing happens, no engine revving..no power…and wrench light flashed. The first two times we took it to the dealer and they were unable to find anything in terms of codes, the last time they actually found the codes.

This last time we took it in they were able to find the codes and proceeded with the TSB fix. Dealer took apart the transmission and found numerous warped/burnt parts within the transmission per the TSB. They proceeded with a complete rebuild a transmission, not a replacement. It was in the shop for about 10 days and currently runs strong with a noticeable difference in the way it drives/shifts.

All in all, the truck is an absolute beast and serves our family very well as we have five kids. However, I’m pretty disappointed with this issue. We’ve had multiple rear end issues as well. I’m definitely concerned about long term reliability as we tend to put a lot of miles on our vehicles. When I asked a dealer, why don’t they just replace it with a new transmission from the factory, they responded that Ford does not like us to just replace the transmission, they like us to rebuild them. Whatever the case, it’s definitely concern for me moving forward.

I had the transmission fail on my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4. The transmission was acting erratically, and actually failed while the Ford dealer technician was test-driving it.

The dealer technician told me in person that a new transmission would have to be installed (I don’t know if he meant a new one or a Ford remanufactured unit). The technician said he retrieved a variety of codes that verified the failure. I agreed to the work.

I was covered under the Ford premium extended service plan (ESP) purchased from that dealership. When the service writer realized later that I had the ESP, I was then told Ford required the transmission to be removed and examined, then rebuilt.

That process resulted in a VERY long repair period, as some of the transmission parts were on national backorder from Ford.

There is clearly two-standards in effect for Ford customers that are covered by a warranty or Ford ESP, and one that has no warranty or coverage.

OldSchoolMec

Reaction score

Im going through this now with my 19 Expy with 45k on it. Its been a while since you posted this, what did you end up doing? if you kept it, how is it running?

OP
OP
BlakeMAX2019

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
The dealer rebuilt the transmission, didn’t replace it as they said Ford doesn’t like us just replacing every transmission with something wrong with it. Shifts much better for sure and no random complete loss of power. Upon inspection during the rebuild there was significant warping, metal pieces, and other things in the transmission that were going wrong.

NOW we had the cam phaser knock come up this week! I just don’t get it! I know all cars these days have issues but probably the last Ford product we’ll buy. Not just because of the constant issues but the dealership experience. Compared the Toyota dealer I’ve been going it’s night and day. I could bring my Toyota in at anytime for any service and it’s done that day, even on a Saturday. Ford it takes days if not weeks to get something repaired and no techs on Saturday, only oil changes.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018 was down 4 months when the CDF drum in the trans failed. New unit my price over the counter at a dealer was $3500 so Ford Warranty price to the dealer is most likely less. They rebuilt the trans and had to tow my car from one dealer to another since the first where I broke down (1200 miles from home) had no one 10 speed trans Certified. When I got the truck back, I started to add up the parts prices used to rebuild the trans plus the cost to ship the truck and car rentals and was well over $6000 dollars. That’s without the labor since I don’t know their warranty labor rate agreed with Ford. I begged and showed Ford corporate as well as the dealer the price of the trans before it was towed out of the first dealer since they could have installed a reman trans but ford denied stating it’s their policy to disassemble every transmission. I even asked Ford corporate and the dealer to run this by their field reps and they played like there was no such person! It’s Policy over People at this car company for sure!

OP
OP
BlakeMAX2019

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
100% Agree with you…the receipt for ours was $8000.00 not to mention 2 weeks in the shop for rebuild. Who knows how long it’ll last? Now with the cam phaser issue starting, another tear down but of the engine…so 40kmi 3 rear ends, 1 transmission rebuild, and now engine tear down for the cam phasers!?

Have a Toyota with 230kmi hard miles and nothing but routine maintenance and the dealer is great.

DRU84

Reaction score
Agree that this is my last Ford. Also had a 2003 Sequoia that was actually still in really good shape in 2020 when traded for a new 2020 Expedition. Carpet started wearing in spots after a year, transmission needed to be fully rebuilt in year three, infotainment system acting buggy (even with all updates), and engine is starting to feel sluggish. Ford's annual report has a lot of talk about quality (including a whole quadrant about it), but I really find it difficult to see that on a daily basis. Will be trading for something Japanese (probably built in U.S. Japanese) before transmission and powertrain warranty expire.