Tuner basics?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jayhawk2014

Reaction score
I am looking at getting a SCT X3 or something similar. I have seen some programmers that claim up to ~50 torque, but usually around 20 hp/30 torque. Where does this extra power come from? Does using a programmer result in less durability because of what it does to make the extra power?

As for the tunes, it seems like most come with 3 pre-loaded, but is this something I can just plug into my truck, then my brother's car, my mom's Explorer etc.? I read somewhere that having a tune/tuner that could adjust shift firmness was a plus, are firm shifts better or is it soft shifts?

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well I'll start explaining as best I can... no a programmer gets locked when you install it into a vehicle.. it goes by the vin number... however if you return your vehicle to stock you can then place the "tune" into a different vehicle... basically one at a time...

Usually the power comes from a more aggressive tune for the ECU... while "canned tunes" the ones from the factory are good, "custom tunes" are available for more money but have a lot more aggressive tunes...

durability is usually not an issue with a programmer both "canned" and "custom" tunes... they have researched the levels before they sell them...

as for SCT they are a good company but I have done tons of research before I ordered mine and I ordered Edge and have been very happy... also the shift firmness can be adjust depending on the programmer you buy, edge has 3 "canned" shift points but you can individually adjust them as well

corlon

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i'm guessing automakers have to meet certain emissions standards with their stock tunes. once you add power by openning the air intake, add better exhaust, aftermarket tunes, etc which do not have to meet anyones emissions standards. so thats where the power comes from. usually with less fuel economy. another reason why their tuned that way to begin with.