Tuning real world MPG results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

intense98neon

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting some 5 star tunes for our 2017 EL. I already love the idea of the extra power, and driveability, but what are the real world expectations with MPG after a tune? We currently get 17 for a yearly average with towing and such, 20 would be an average tank around town and highway.

Does anybody have a tuned Ecoboost that could post up MPG results?

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 17 with 5 star performance/tow tune. I didn't notice any mpg improvements, but a slightly better towing experience and less lugging of the motor before downshifts. I removed the tune in December and mpg hasn't changed at all, I get 15-16 average and can get 20+ on the highway, or 7-8 when towing.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting some 5 star tunes for our 2017 EL. I already love the idea of the extra power, and driveability, but what are the real world expectations with MPG after a tune? We currently get 17 for a yearly average with towing and such, 20 would be an average tank around town and highway.

Does anybody have a tuned Ecoboost that could post up MPG results?
93 perf and 93 perf tow tunes from 5 star. Don’t plan on seeing any gains in mpg bc I promise you won’t be able to keep your foot out of it. I’m lifted on 35s, EL, and 3.73s and with the 93 perf tune I’m getting 21 on the highway at 60-65mph and 18 in the city. 93 perf tow tune in at about the same for highway but about 19 city. And Thts driving it like a granny. It’s all gonna depend on el vs non el wheelbase, gear ratio you’re running, tire size, and fuel type. What do you have for each of these?? I see you’re a 17 el. What fuel type, gear ratio, and tires you running?

OP
OP
intense98neon

intense98neon

Reaction score
Correct, I have an EL, so 3.73 gears, 87 octane, and we have stock size (she won't let me lift it) all terrain tires.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Correct, I have an EL, so 3.73 gears, 87 octane, and we have stock size (she won't let me lift it) all terrain tires.
If you go 87 perf tow you may see 1ish mpg. They have an eco tune but I’ve heard it’s not that great driving with. They drop boost to compensate gas mileage. If i was u I would go 93. That alone without a tune will net you more mpg. And maybe do a perf tow tune whichever fuel you use as it’s the best of both worlds for power and mileage. A straight performance tune is ridiculous power over stock, about 100whp and tq but you will suffer mileage, for obvious reasons

Savannah Dan

Reaction score
I drive my Expy to work, 22 miles one way; 10 miles on interstate, 8 miles on highway, and 4 miles through the neighborhood. On I-95 the cruise control get set at 82. On Hwy 204 it gets set at 65, and I do 30-40 in the neighborhood. With an 5 Star 89 Economy Tune I get 19.9 mpg, and the performance is a LOT better than stock. I hear that if I stay below 70-75 that I will get much better mileage, but I don't think I will ever be able to verify that.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I drive my Expy to work, 22 miles one way; 10 miles on interstate, 8 miles on highway, and 4 miles through the neighborhood. On I-95 the cruise control get set at 82. On Hwy 204 it gets set at 65, and I do 30-40 in the neighborhood. With an 5 Star 89 Economy Tune I get 19.9 mpg, and the performance is a LOT better than stock. I hear that if I stay below 70-75 that I will get much better mileage, but I don't think I will ever be able to verify that.
There's definitely a cliff in MPG around 70-75 in the Expeditions. Cruising at 65 I can hit 22-23 mpg, but bump into the 70s and that drops to 16-17 mpg.

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, mine is an EL with the 5.4 liter V8. All terrain tires. Last time we took it to WV for a visit we got 17 mpg on the flat terrain highways and 16 mpg in the mountains. Cruise control set on whatever the speed limit for the interstate is at that location.

It would be nice to get more mpg but it's not an every day driven vehicle, as much as we like it.

For some perspective, our 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD, 4.0, automatic, 4 door, 3.55 gears gets 17 mpg around town and 16 on the highway. When my wife drives it the mpg drops.

No comparison in size, comfort, load capability, etc.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm afraid the OP is on a fools errand. While "tunes" can and do unleash power they aren't going to net you a vast increase in mileage simply because the factories are looking for ANYTHING to get better mileage...the tune of your truck from the factory is optimized for mileage, with power being a secondary goal.

FWIW: my '17 is averaging 18.3 since brand new. Individual tanks usually net my close to 20 lately.

jeff