Tyre pressure sensor fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guys, whenever it rains, my 2008 EL Limited expedition flashes the orange tyre symbol on the dashboard and displays the message "tyre sensor fault". Its obviously water getting in somewhere, I thought there would be a sensor on every wheel, but people here explained that the pressure sensor is a centrally located unit. I am hoping someone can tell me where it is located on the expedition and what the unit looks like so I can try and find it on mine and see if there is anything obviously damaged, corroded or split?

Regards Gary

TheFordFortress

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guys, whenever it rains, my 2008 EL Limited expedition flashes the orange tyre symbol on the dashboard and displays the message "tyre sensor fault". Its obviously water getting in somewhere, I thought there would be a sensor on every wheel, but people here explained that the pressure sensor is a centrally located unit. I am hoping someone can tell me where it is located on the expedition and what the unit looks like so I can try and find it on mine and see if there is anything obviously damaged, corroded or split?

Regards Gary

I am not 100% sure of which years had the tire pressure monitor in the valve stem’s instead of it being strapped to the actual wheel. Depending on which one you have they have an average lifespan of about 10 years. It is possible that the batteries are starting to go and moisture is affecting it. It’s also possible that if it’s a valve stem unit that it’s cracked and waster is getting in to the sensor unit itself.

You can get very inexpensive TPMS testing and learning tools off of Amazon for under $20. They will test that there is signal coming from each tire pressure monitor and if you are not getting signal you can attempt to reset it with the same tool. You will then know whether the sensor is bad or needs batteries or if there is some other fault in the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeZ

Reaction score
On my '08 I had one sensor fail, and it would only fault when the wheel was hot. One week after replacing it, the strap broke on another one. I found it when replacing the front brake pads. The funny thing about that one is it still worked fine. My tire guy replaced the strap on type with the valve stem type, his preference and cheaper.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 07’ is the strapped ones. I had them all as well as broken band replaced. I opted to stay with OEM and skip the valve stem type.

OP
OP
G

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I guess anything is possible, if it was a wheel rim mounted unit that had cracked, would that not cause the tyre to slowly lose air? Guess I need to find a cheap TPMS tester and wait for the next rain and see if it is a sensor in a wheel going bad, or if it's the main central pickup unit that has an issue? I have no idea if my 08 has the band mounted or valve mounted units, can you tell by looking at the valve? or do you have to remove the tyre to check?

Gary

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ever had the sensors replaced yet? 11 years is a long time for a TPMS battery.

TheFordFortress

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I guess anything is possible, if it was a wheel rim mounted unit that had cracked, would that not cause the tyre to slowly lose air? Guess I need to find a cheap TPMS tester and wait for the next rain and see if it is a sensor in a wheel going bad, or if it's the main central pickup unit that has an issue? I have no idea if my 08 has the band mounted or valve mounted units, can you tell by looking at the valve? or do you have to remove the tyre to check?

Gary

Getting your self the test / learning tool will help you identify which wheel has the tpms issues, you can even tell by how much time it takes for the certain sensors to respond (which ones are fast or slower in response) before having to dismount all four tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always thought the tpms sensors where changed when the tyres where changed!! If that is not the case then I am still running original sensors and batteries, so maybe the problem is not the rain, its the fact that it gets a lot colder when it rains and the temp drop is causing a very tired/flat battery to give up.. do you have to order new TPMS's from Ford or can you buy them anywhere? Sounds like I should probably change all 4 and have another 11 years trouble free service!!

Gary