U-Haul utility trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flying68

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone ever rented a U-Haul utility trailer? I am looking at renting one of the 5x9 utilities with a ramp to haul about 1000 lbs of stone 500 miles. U-Haul gives a "recommended" top speed of 55 mph but that would be painfully slow on 500 miles of 75 mph interstate. My only concern is about the speed rating on those trailer tires. Total trailer weight would be around 2300 lbs of a listed capacity of 2890 lbs. I figure I would be doing 70-75 on the highway, that light of load with such a low profile shouldn't be any difficulty.

I would have the stone shipped but quotes for a single pallet are as much or more than the cost of the stone itself.

RBalboa

Reaction score
I towed my Subaru Outback on top of a car carrier by U-haul trailer for over 65 miles at highway speeds (65-70mph) with no problem with my 2014 Expedition XL EL

ssmock

Reaction score
I have towed those U-Haul trailers and a U-Haul Auto Transport many times at regular highway speeds. Never a problem.

JVinOlathe

Reaction score
The towing vehicle should not be a problem, just be sure the tongue weight is where it should be. The issue will be the trailer and in what condition it is, particularly the tires. 55MPH is the normal recommended maximum speed when towing a trailer, it is up to you to determine what is your safe speed. By the way, 1600 lbs. is the max. load allowed for that trailer, 2,890 lbs. is the maximum gross weight which includes trailer and cargo.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've rented the Uhaul utility trailers 100+ times in the last few years and have had no issue at higher speeds provided the trailer is loaded properly.