Ugh truck got backed into today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blkmonday

Reaction score
Came out of doctors office today and got into truck and drove home. Got out and went to get something out of the back of truck and noticed I got hit in the rear bumper/tail light. Of course nobody left a note or anything. Have a claim going with my insurance already but I have a $500 deductible...so I'm on the fence of throwing in a tail light and touch up paint and living with the damage over forking out 500 bucks to cover the deductible. I need the truck for the next 2 weekends.....ugh this truck is/was mint except for one very small ding in the driver's door. I'm bummed out .....sorry more of a whining post than anything

Attachments

• 20210802_160106.jpg
    20210802_160106.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 32

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That blows, if you can live with it looking that way then fix it cheap. If you want it to continue looking pretty you gotta pay up.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah if you've got the time it'll be cheaper to pull the rear bumper off yourself. You can take it to a body shop and they should be able to re-paint the whole thing for about $100. Or you can do it yourself with a rattle can. White is pretty easy to match. The tail light you can get on eBay or Amazon.

Driver's side Tail Light Assembly on Amazon

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sucks. I got clipped in NYC the other day. We were at a dead stop in Midtown traffic right by Macy's. The lady behind me was trying to drive into the opposing lane of traffic to get around me (to go where I have NFI) and misjudged. I jumped out and yelled for her to stop because she was about to drive off. She got out for a moment and I told her not to go anywhere. As I went to grab my phone/info, she took off. I sent pics of the plate to the insurance company and will let them hunt her down. It's just 2 bad scratches, but it ****** me off that she just hit me and ran, so I'd like to see her insurance go up at the very least.

1oldtimer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That really sucks. And then the ******* didn't even have the decency to leave a note???? I hate people like that.
Any chance you can go back and see if there are any cameras around that might have caught it?
And as much as the money sucks, if it were me, I would have to fork it over. I hate imperfections that are visible like that.

OP
OP
blkmonday

blkmonday

Reaction score
Yup...priced out the bumper, bumper filler, tail light...and I'm around 500 in parts. Plus having it painted to match. Labor wise doesn't look bad to fix myself. I'm in the fence of just replacing tail light and fixing rest down the road or not...or...insurance claim and fix...or..insurance claim and take payment minus deductible (which I'm sure they will get back by raising my rates at some point) not sure which way to go. Guess I'll look at it again today and decide if I can live with it or not....either way I'm pissed

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
.and I'm around 500 in parts.
Might as well get insurance to fix get your truck back the way you want it without you having to do the work. worry about the little uptick in payments later, I am sure your time is more valuable than any increase in insurance payments. Besides it will drop off your insurance in 3 years and they cant raise this year, only when you renew so only 2 years of little increase.
Well worth it not to stress out everytime you look at it.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup...priced out the bumper, bumper filler, tail light...and I'm around 500 in parts. Plus having it painted to match. Labor wise doesn't look bad to fix myself. I'm in the fence of just replacing tail light and fixing rest down the road or not...or...insurance claim and fix...or..insurance claim and take payment minus deductible (which I'm sure they will get back by raising my rates at some point) not sure which way to go. Guess I'll look at it again today and decide if I can live with it or not....either way I'm pissed

A hit-and-run should not raise your rates unless you're in a no-fault state (CT is not no-fault).

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A hit-and-run should not raise your rates unless you're in a no-fault state (CT is not no-fault).
Does it matter if you get hit in a parking lot though? Some states (and provinces) are no-fault even if you are clearly not at fault.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does it matter if you get hit in a parking lot though? Some states (and provinces) are no-fault even if you are clearly not at fault.

If you're in a no-fault state your rates will likely go up regardless of the specifics. If you are not in a no-fault state, rates should only go up if you are found to be at fault (in part or full). That said, if you switch insurance companies - even in states where fault is assigned - your claim history (even not-at-fault and $0 claims) may play a role in your rate quote.