UGH, Wife wrecked the car!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BikeRider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's actually not that bad, she backed up into a fence post and did some damage to the rear passanger quarter panel. Actaully it's the piece right above the bumper that wraps from the wheel well to the hatch opening and is only 5" x 18". I don't want to take it to a body shop, I got quotes with $1500 being the cheapest of the three. Also, I don't want to take it to a body shop because then it will come out on a CARFAX report and lower the value of the car. Does anyone know where I can find out how to replace it via an exploded view and where I can get the replacement piece cheap?

NoMo

Reaction score
Too bad about the damage. Will probably take some cutting, welding & grinding just to get ready for the putty & paint. I suggest taking it to a GOOD bodyshop for repair. If you don't use a good shop, a potential buyer won't need 'carfax' to tell them it's been wrecked.

PaulC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only way CARFAX will know that the vehicle was ever damaged is if it was totaled by an insurance company (for financial reasons) subsequently repaired, and a "reconstructed" title is issued for the truck. Otherwise CARFAX has as much chance of knowing it was at a body shop as it would in knowing if it was ever driven through a Mc Donald's drive-thru:)

bnvus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually, it would only show up on the carfax report if it (VIN #)was reported by the body shop to support an insurance claim. Otherwise, you are just another paying customer. As far as the repair goes, if the quarter needs to be replaced I would STRONGLY recommend you let a body shop do it. Unless you have a MIG welder, spot weld bits, paint and buffer experience, it is not a job for the backyard mechanic. Now if it just Bondo work, well only you know how well your skills are when it comes to mud.
I managed a body shop for 11 years an I can tell you, if you want to keep the resale value, have it done right the 1st time and don't skimp on aftermarket parts or cheap paint. Just my .02.

OP
OP
B

BikeRider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ended up fixing it myself by removing the entire bumper (really easy!), heating the area, and knocking it out by hand. It took some time to shape, but it looks okay. The only noticible thing is that the clear coat took some damage and became a little discolored, but I'm satisfied with it. I'll post some before and after pics when I get home in about 3 days.

By the way PaulC, the Carfax thing is like your credit history, it depends on the reporting agency. Generally good business body shops will report any repair to the vehicle, especially if it is done through insurance, because they both do it. This is according to my brother in law who is the body shop manager of a very large "Prestigious" Ford dealership.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik