Update all versions of Ford Sync 3 to the latest Sync 3.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I may have missed it, but is there a link to step by step directions to perform the update?

can you revert back to factory 3.0 later if you want?

OP
OP
A

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@MxRacer965

Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM) is the SYNC computer.

Updates over wifi have never worked and I've heard they aren't even pushing them right now.

We will post updates here when available or you can find most everything at the Russian site in the second post of this thread.

You can update your maps for free here: https://syncnavigation.com/ford/home (not sure how long they will be free)

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@MxRacer965

Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM) is the SYNC computer.

Updates over wifi have never worked and I've heard they aren't even pushing them right now.

We will post updates here when available or you can find most everything at the Russian site in the second post of this thread.

You can update your maps for free here: https://syncnavigation.com/ford/home (not sure how long they will be free)

That site is not free, never has been. $109 for download, $149 for USB. The prices have come down, but still not free. They didn’t use to offer the download option. And when they first launched it, it would send you to the contact a dealer for ordering after it verified you had an update available.

The average user will never check the Russian forums. Most people should not be doing updates straight off of there. A lot of what those guys are messing with is Beta, and on the bleeding edge.

Also, mentioned above that they are not pushing via WiFi currently. They did work at one time, went from 2.0 to 2.2 via WiFi on my Edge. Several others had success during that timeframe. That was a small update though. They have had constant issues with it, so they stopped pushing that way for now. They have some test groups doing it, but small subsets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I may have missed it, but is there a link to step by step directions to perform the update?

can you revert back to factory 3.0 later if you want?

Do some reading. All info is found in this thread.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Since I will no longer get the notices for updates, is CyanLabs the best place to check for them? I am at the most recent build (19274).

Thanks for all the work you have put into this aspect of ownership/modding. :)

I have never waited for Ford to get updates. I realize I am a little more aggressive about it than others though. Ford is slow, and will hardly ever tell you anyway. Pay attention here, I am sure threads like this one will exist if there is another update.

OP
OP
A

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That site is not free, never has been. $109 for download, $149 for USB. The prices have come down, but still not free. They didn’t use to offer the download option. And when they first launched it, it would send you to the contact a dealer for ordering after it verified you had an update available.

The average user will never check the Russian forums. Most people should not be doing updates straight off of there. A lot of what those guys are messing with is Beta, and on the Edge.

Also, mentioned above that they are not pushing via WiFi currently. They did work at one time, went from 2.0 to 2.2 via WiFi on my Edge. Several others had success during that timeframe. That was a small update though. They have had constant issues with it, so they stopped pushing that way for now. They have some test groups doing it, but small subsets.

It was free for my VIN. Think it might just apply to 4th gens. There is a thread on it here somewhere. Agree on the Russian site. We can post the install ready packaged updates here when they drop.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It was free for my VIN. Think it might just apply to 4th gens. There is a thread on it here somewhere. Agree on the Russian site. We can post the install ready packaged updates here when they drop.

Nice! Maybe they are doing the free for a certain time past purchase thing! That is pretty cool for ya’ll!

What is the most current Data when you go to download? Newest I have seen is 1-18? Curious if they have one that is newer there.

OP
OP
A

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1-18 is what I downloaded a couple of months ago. Came from 1-16. Just checked and no new updates for my VIN/ESN.

Last edited:

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All excellent questions. Your initial tone appeared combative, sorry. Let’s get off on a better foot! I think first you need a good base on Ford and Sync.

Map updates are not Free from Ford, period, and in addition, they are slow! Ford does not do Map updates over the air or via owner.ford.com, those are OS(Operating System) updates only. The Map updates have to be purchased from a dealership pets counter, and regular price is $199. The USB drive you eventually get is tied to the Serial Number of Sync, and your VIN. It can only be used on one vehicle. The version are denoted by 1/4 and year. We are in 1-20, but the most current Map file I have seen is 1-18, which happens to be part of the 3.4 update. Which is just a fringe benefit, cause the files were found at the same time. Map versions are somewhat Sync version independent. That being said, I have only done 2 Map updates outside of the 3.4 updates. Both were on 3.0+ updated Units.

Fords are made up of many different modules that control everything. Examples:

BCM-Body Control Module
IPC-Instrument Panel Cluster
PCM-Powertrain Control Module
APIM-Accessory Protocol Interface Module

The APIM is the brains behind Sync, feeds it info, and sends info to other modules. When you do updates, that is what you are screwing with.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not sure how I gave that impression, apologies! There are pluses and minuses of this communication medium I suppose...

Sounds like the update is similar then to what it was with the Jeep navigation system, which I did once in 9 years...when my parents bought it from me when I bought the Expedition :Big Laugh:

So, even if moving on to 3.4 map updates, should I choose to purchase them in the future, should still work is my understanding?

I see AAOO commented about some free map updates...wonder if they are free while the factory warranty is still active? I need to toss in my VIN and ESN to see...

Thanks, description of APIM helps. My Jeep didn't have anything like that; the newer ones probably do but mine had physical buttons for the various controls whereas starting in 2014 the system became more like the Sync that is in my current Expedition. I'm familiar with a bunch of the other terms, I bought a tune and tuner for my Grand Cherokee and the one before that I found a Nav DVD that would disable the nag screen on start up, so I'm certainly familiar with tweaking cars...just not this particular car...yet!