Update all versions of Ford Sync 3 to the latest Sync 3.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Other than the map question...another one just came to me. I read through one of the forums referenced on Cyanlabs and long story short, will doing this update impact any of the available buttons on the display like heated seat and steering wheel? Will I need to use Forscan to enable those again?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure how I gave that impression, apologies! There are pluses and minuses of this communication medium I suppose...

Sounds like the update is similar then to what it was with the Jeep navigation system, which I did once in 9 years...when my parents bought it from me when I bought the Expedition :Big Laugh:

So, even if moving on to 3.4 map updates, should I choose to purchase them in the future, should still work is my understanding?

I see AAOO commented about some free map updates...wonder if they are free while the factory warranty is still active? I need to toss in my VIN and ESN to see...

Thanks, description of APIM helps. My Jeep didn't have anything like that; the newer ones probably do but mine had physical buttons for the various controls whereas starting in 2014 the system became more like the Sync that is in my current Expedition. I'm familiar with a bunch of the other terms, I bought a tune and tuner for my Grand Cherokee and the one before that I found a Nav DVD that would disable the nag screen on start up, so I'm certainly familiar with tweaking cars...just not this particular car...yet!

Yep, the internet leads to stupid assumptions. Sorry about that! Glad you are here.

Definately not Factory warranty related, cause I tested with my 17 when it was still under warranty, and they wanted me to pay.

I think it was because there were people threatening legal action, because their vehicles were sold AFTER 1-18 and they still had 1-16 Map Data. Ford is supposedly offering it for any 2018+ vehicle because of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Other than the map question...another one just came to me. I read through one of the forums referenced on Cyanlabs and long story short, will doing this update impact any of the available buttons on the display like heated seat and steering wheel? Will I need to use Forscan to enable those again?

Every one I have done(At 11 Now), has not affected those settings.

I even have custom coding on my Edge to add the Heated steering wheel to the Sync Homepage instead of having to go in to the HVAC settings, and that stuck.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Every one I have done(At 11 Now), has not affected those settings.

I even have custom coding on my Edge to add the Heated steering wheel to the Sync Homepage instead of having to go in to the HVAC settings, and that stuck.

So these settings/configurations are stored in the APIM, right? If I am remembering correctly the APIM is firmware based and can only be adjusted/flashed via Forscan and associated OBDII adapter? If so I guess that makes sense on why the settings would be retained...

I did just check and I do have a free map update. '19 Max Plat. purchased 11/19, maps NA 117.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There it is! That is a significant added feature! Can anybody confirm whether that works with CarPlay?

I just tried it and it was a fail with Google Maps and Waze. Maybe I'll try Apple Maps since it may be the native map app that is configured to be the one pushed to the center dash cluster. I'll be running an errand in about 15 minutes and report back.