Update all versions of Ford Sync 3 to the latest Sync 3.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So these settings/configurations are stored in the APIM, right? If I am remembering correctly the APIM is firmware based and can only be adjusted/flashed via Forscan and associated OBDII adapter? If so I guess that makes sense on why the settings would be retained...

I did just check and I do have a free map update. '19 Max Plat. purchased 11/19, maps NA 117.

Yes, they are stored in the Config on the APIM that is not the same space that is formatted by the upgrade.

Firmware flashes need VERY specific Software/Hardware, like a Dev release of FORSCAN or a Dealer Diagnostic System.

Changes like those buttons or themes just require the Normal version of FORSCAN with an extended license on a Windows Computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There it is! That is a significant added feature! Can anybody confirm whether that works with CarPlay?

I can confirm that this feature doesn't work with CarPlay. I tested Waze, Google Maps, and Apple Maps. I am using the iPhone X with iOS 13.3.1 Beta 3.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can confirm that this feature doesn't work with CarPlay. I tested Waze, Google Maps, and Apple Maps. I am using the iPhone X with iOS 13.3.1 Beta 3.

Thanks for testing Lou. Maybe a future update? It is definitely a bonus for those Android users!

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In doing my due diligence on this update topic I noticed on the Euro forums referenced on CyanLabs people were mentioning getting beta releases of firmware, etc from the forscan forum and we are talking about it here as well... How are Ford and forscan related? I can’t believe Ford has a team of people freely releasing software that can edit firmware, etc. of their vehicles. I had figured forscan would be a proprietary software that only Ford dealers would have access to when I first started reading comments with it referenced.

expeditiondriver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The first two updates worked great for me. 3.4 was worth the small effort to make this happen.

I get "Installation Failed Error Code: MEM_ERR03" when trying to update to 19274.

I tried two different memory sticks, etc. Searching for that error code gives a wide range of ideas on the internet.

I have a US non-nav version.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In doing my due diligence on this update topic I noticed on the Euro forums referenced on CyanLabs people were mentioning getting beta releases of firmware, etc from the forscan forum and we are talking about it here as well... How are Ford and forscan related? I can’t believe Ford has a team of people freely releasing software that can edit firmware, etc. of their vehicles. I had figured forscan would be a proprietary software that only Ford dealers would have access to when I first started reading comments with it referenced.

Go do a little Googling.

FORSCAN is a 3rd Party utility.

They do not supply the Firmware. It is FORD Firmware. FORSCAN has a dev version of their software that lets you do module flashing, and that is something ONLY the most confident should try.

Other than that FORSCAN is used to do diagnostics, and make changes to settings inside the Modules. Settings like how many times the blinker flashes when you hit the turn signal and things like that.

Hope that helps. Go do some googling. There have been a TON of write ups on FORSCAN and YouTube videos. Plenty out there.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The first two updates worked great for me. 3.4 was worth the small effort to make this happen.

I get "Installation Failed Error Code: MEM_ERR03" when trying to update to 19274.

I tried two different memory sticks, etc. Searching for that error code gives a wide range of ideas on the internet.

I have a US non-nav version.

Did you do the 3.4 updates for Non-Nav? Did you reboot Sync 2 times in a row, then try inserting the stick? What size USB are you using?

armoredsaint

Full Access Members
Reaction score
will the dealer update my 3.0 to 3.4 for free and under warranty if i say i am having issues?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
will the dealer update my 3.0 to 3.4 for free and under warranty if i say i am having issues?

Nope! Not unless it is officially released for your VIN.

Clarity, they will update it to the most current for your version though.

expeditiondriver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you do the 3.4 updates for Non-Nav? Did you reboot Sync 2 times in a row, then try inserting the stick? What size USB are you using?

Yes, everything updated fine to 3.4. As it turns out, it's an issue with the non-nav version not having enough RAM to handle the update suggested using the third memory stick. I'm redoing the files in the 'step 2' now to just reformat it with the latest version (thus skipping the need for the 3rd update).

To explain this another way, the 1st memory stick sets it up, the 2nd memory stick 'reformats' it with 3.4 and the 3rd memory stick 'updates' the version of 3.4.

I'm changing it to reformat it with the version that it would deliver in the currently listed 3rd step.

details: yes, had rebooted twice; SanDisk 256gb usb sticks

Last edited: