Update all versions of Ford Sync 3 to the latest Sync 3.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just updated my expy to 3.4 today.

Easy to do... Only risk of bricking something in my opinion is operator error... Or low battery condition when trying to flash.

Thanks for this post!

Mothnuts

Reaction score
Quick question for you guys that have updated. Can you mix and match FM stations with SiriusXM stations on your presets? I have a ‘20 F250 and it lets you mix them, and you can jump to the next set of presets without having to switch to the next set of presets. I just got my ‘20 Expedition, and it’s 3.4, but operates the same as the ‘19 did with the previous Sync version. It’s probably something I’m doing wrong, as I couldn’t get Forscan to work on it either (worked perfect on my pickup). I decided to give up on it for tonight...fighting moving 2 car seats and the rest of the wife’s crap over is enough for one night. I left my pickup with the dealership so I could move stuff, otherwise I’d look at the differences.

upload_2020-1-20_23-14-57.jpeg

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Quick question for you guys that have updated. Can you mix and match FM stations with SiriusXM stations on your presets? I have a ‘20 F250 and it lets you mix them, and you can jump to the next set of presets without having to switch to the next set of presets. I just got my ‘20 Expedition, and it’s 3.4, but operates the same as the ‘19 did with the previous Sync version. It’s probably something I’m doing wrong, as I couldn’t get Forscan to work on it either (worked perfect on my pickup). I decided to give up on it for tonight...fighting moving 2 car seats and the rest of the wife’s crap over is enough for one night. I left my pickup with the dealership so I could move stuff, otherwise I’d look at the differences.

View attachment 34037

I haven't updated to 3.4 as I haven't really studied the process in depth yet, but it seems more like a UI skin than a ground up overhaul. That would mean it would probably fundamentally operate in the same manner as before but with a different look. I'm not sure I like the new look over the old look so if that is the only reason to move to 3.4 I may just stay put. I'm usually one of those people that hacks, tinkers, and updates everything in search of better capability but in this case I haven't noticed any new functionality/enhancements.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are definitely enhancements.

Performance improvements. It is definitely more responsive in general navigation through the UI.

Another big change is many of the Applink Apps now work over BT, and no longer require a physical cable connection.

There are others...just not thinking of them off the top of my head...need more caffeine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zebrex

Reaction score
I did the update on my 2019 with no issues. however the icons now are using generic icons and colors for the background. the oem theme seems to have disappeared. how do I get that back?

Jace

Full Access Members
Reaction score

View attachment 34037

Random off topic question... In person with the two machines side by side, is star white much different than white platinum?

Back on topic, I need to go give this 3.4 a try!

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are definitely enhancements.

Performance improvements. It is definitely more responsive in general navigation through the UI.

Another big change is many of the Applink Apps now work over BT, and no longer require a physical cable connection.

There are others...just not thinking of them off the top of my head...need more caffeine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Had enough caffeine yet to recall the other improvements? :Big Laugh:

I honestly haven't noticed any sluggishness, maybe I just haven't used the navigation enough or I've been plugging in and using CarPlay for that.

I don't think I've actually used any of the Applink apps either. I usually either just toss on Sirius or Apple Music and roll on down the road...

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Random off topic question... In person with the two machines side by side, is star white much different than white platinum?

Star White will be "whiter" whereas the White Platinum is a tiny bit "off white" with a pearl sheen to it. They are certainly dramatically different IMO. I'd take the White Platinum over Star White but that's personal preference.

Mothnuts

Reaction score

The two colors are noticeable different, but not enough to really make a difference to me. The Star White is a brighter white with more metallic in it, and the White Platinum has more of a pearl white to it. I did the same swap on my F250, and I’ve had several complements on the Star White, so it’s obviously prettier to some. I almost went Magnetic this year, but ended up with white once again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
othermrsikes