Update all versions of Ford Sync 3 to the latest Sync 3.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, in lurking around this thread for a minute and reading and re-reading one question jumps out at me...how will doing this impact the ability to receive updates in the future? For example, the auto update feature or from the owner.ford.com web site? The site right now says I have an update available so I'm going to double check that I'm connected to WiFi to do auto update, but I also downloaded the update to a USB drive so I can use the ol' sneakernet to walk it over and update...

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, in lurking around this thread for a minute and reading and re-reading one question jumps out at me...how will doing this impact the ability to receive updates in the future? For example, the auto update feature or from the owner.ford.com web site? The site right now says I have an update available so I'm going to double check that I'm connected to WiFi to do auto update, but I also downloaded the update to a USB drive so I can use the ol' sneakernet to walk it over and update...

The WiFi update feature is not enabled right now via Ford, unless they have turned it back on in the past month. That was confirmed by multiple sources who contacted Ford Support, including myself.

I have answered those questions, pretty sure more than once. You are welcome to do the update, or not, obviously your choice.

Ford has proven that they do not continue updates past a certain point. Because a format is needed to leave 3.0, most likely there will NEVER be an official Ford release to take those units to 3.4. So you will be stuck with small fixes and tweaks to 3.0, without any feature changes. The most recent being a tweak that fixes the GPS Data being sent to apps like Waze so that the GPS speedo is accurate(a fix also incorporated even in 19101 of 3.4). Most likely that is the update you have waiting. It also has other small fixes, but that is the major one.

Also, for clarity I said navigation in the UI(User Interface) was faster, not Navigation(Directions) was faster. General performance improvements were made in 3.4.

Here are the things CyanLabs mentions are improved/changed:

Here are some of the benefits of upgrading to Sync 3.4

Android Auto navigation on the small screen in the Dash Cluster / Speedo. (potentially car play aswell)

Much snappier and more responsive user interface

A nicer looking stock blue theme

Newest map data for SatNav

If you update your APIM firmware you can also get Radio logos and Calm Mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The WiFi update feature is not enabled right now via Ford, unless they have turned it back on in the past month. That was confirmed by multiple sources who contacted Ford Support, including myself.

I have answered those questions, pretty sure more than once. You are welcome to do the update, or not, obviously your choice.

Ford has proven that they do not continue updates past a certain point. Because a format is needed to leave 3.0, most likely there will NEVER be an official Ford release to take those units to 3.4. So you will be stuck with small fixes and tweaks to 3.0, without any feature changes. The most recent being a tweak that fixes the GPS Data being sent to apps like Waze so that the GPS speedo is accurate(a fix also incorporated even in 19101 of 3.4). Most likely that is the update you have waiting. It also has other small fixes, but that is the major one.

Also, for clarity I said navigation in the UI(User Interface) was faster, not Navigation(Directions) was faster. General performance improvements were made in 3.4.

Here are the things CyanLabs mentions are improved/changed:

Here are some of the benefits of upgrading to Sync 3.4

Android Auto navigation on the small screen in the Dash Cluster / Speedo. (potentially car play aswell)

Much snappier and more responsive user interface

A nicer looking stock blue theme

Newest map data for SatNav

If you update your APIM firmware you can also get Radio logos and Calm Mode.

Sorry if you or anyone repeat anything that may have been posted before, that isn't my intent. But I didn't notice answers to the particular questions I had...maybe I asked them wrong, or I still am too new with owning a Ford (different lingo, etc than the Grand Cherokee Summit I am coming from after 9 years) to realize they were being answered.

That said I suppose my questions come from the stance of not even knowing WHAT Ford is updating with the Sync updates for 3.0 (or any of the lingo...like what the heck is a APIM and what does it do????). Are map updates included when they release an update? Is it just bug fixes?

I understand that a Ford approved 3.4 update won't be in the cards most likely. But what about map updates? How does going to 3.4 impact my ability to update maps in the future should I choose to? Hell, I don't even know how map updates are done today...only had the vehicle for a couple months...yet the latest release from Ford references using a 8GB memory stick or larger because there are map updates...???

In short I don't even have 2,500 miles on my '19 yet and have only had it a couple months. Last thing I want to do is blindly make an update without understanding the long term ramifications of doing so to an $85K vehicle - like will I be forever stuck on the current maps installed if I do this? What if Ford releases a bug fix for 3.0 and 3.4 but I can't update 3.4 because it isn't supported by Ford and CyanLabs is defunct or not interested in this anymore?

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score

At this point, CarPlay Nav is NOT in the Dash Cluster / Speedo area (I'm assuming you mean the cluster directly in front of the driver behind the steering wheel, correct?

At least when using Waze...

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lou, That was from CyanLabs. I have not seen that for myself.

I assume it is only for those with the new Digital dash. That is my assumption only.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry if you or anyone repeat anything that may have been posted before, that isn't my intent. But I didn't notice answers to the particular questions I had...maybe I asked them wrong, or I still am too new with owning a Ford (different lingo, etc than the Grand Cherokee Summit I am coming from after 9 years) to realize they were being answered.

That said I suppose my questions come from the stance of not even knowing WHAT Ford is updating with the Sync updates for 3.0 (or any of the lingo...like what the heck is a APIM and what does it do????). Are map updates included when they release an update? Is it just bug fixes?

I understand that a Ford approved 3.4 update won't be in the cards most likely. But what about map updates? How does going to 3.4 impact my ability to update maps in the future should I choose to? Hell, I don't even know how map updates are done today...only had the vehicle for a couple months...yet the latest release from Ford references using a 8GB memory stick or larger because there are map updates...???

In short I don't even have 2,500 miles on my '19 yet and have only had it a couple months. Last thing I want to do is blindly make an update without understanding the long term ramifications of doing so to an $85K vehicle - like will I be forever stuck on the current maps installed if I do this? What if Ford releases a bug fix for 3.0 and 3.4 but I can't update 3.4 because it isn't supported by Ford and CyanLabs is defunct or not interested in this anymore?

All excellent questions. Your initial tone appeared combative, sorry. Let’s get off on a better foot! I think first you need a good base on Ford and Sync.

Map updates are not Free from Ford, period, and in addition, they are slow! Ford does not do Map updates over the air or via owner.ford.com, those are OS(Operating System) updates only. The Map updates have to be purchased from a dealership pets counter, and regular price is $199. The USB drive you eventually get is tied to the Serial Number of Sync, and your VIN. It can only be used on one vehicle. The version are denoted by 1/4 and year. We are in 1-20, but the most current Map file I have seen is 1-18, which happens to be part of the 3.4 update. Which is just a fringe benefit, cause the files were found at the same time. Map versions are somewhat Sync version independent. That being said, I have only done 2 Map updates outside of the 3.4 updates. Both were on 3.0+ updated Units.

Fords are made up of many different modules that control everything. Examples:

BCM-Body Control Module
IPC-Instrument Panel Cluster
PCM-Powertrain Control Module
APIM-Accessory Protocol Interface Module

The APIM is the brains behind Sync, feeds it info, and sends info to other modules. When you do updates, that is what you are screwing with.

Hope that helps!

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lou, That was from CyanLabs. I have not seen that for myself.

I assume it is only for those with the new Digital dash. That is my assumption only.

Since I will no longer get the notices for updates, is CyanLabs the best place to check for them? I am at the most recent build (19274).

Thanks for all the work you have put into this aspect of ownership/modding. :)