Update all versions of Ford Sync 3 to the latest Sync 3.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just upgraded my 2018 Expy to 20196. No issues. It may have taken longer to build the USB stick than it did to do the upgrade. I'm hoping that the upgrade clears out the CarPlay connection problem that I was experiencing with 3.0 build 17276. That is a PITA.

17276 was NOT a good build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, Master Reset is not needed...Enjoy! What version did you end up loading?

I took your advice and loaded 20196 with maps. Everything worked so I didn't update the APIM.

Android Auto (AA) and Apple Car Play are fully tested and work great. The Ford UI is much better.

The UI with all interfaces is more responsive and the update fixed some annoying issues.
For example, adjustment of seats while in Google Maps would not automatically go back Maps after the adjustments. Now it does.

Last edited:

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
...I'm hoping that the upgrade clears out the CarPlay connection problem that I was experiencing with 3.0 build 17276. That is a PITA.

I used CarPlay for a few hours. No connection or USB errors with the OEM Apple cable.

Eswfarms

Reaction score
With this update, does it happen to give the speed limit sign on the dash next to the speedometer like on the f250 and lincoln? Would love to get that feature.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
With this update, does it happen to give the speed limit sign on the dash next to the speedometer like on the f250 and lincoln? Would love to get that feature.

Nope. Has nothing to do with the Version of Sync. That feature is handled by another module, and so far the coding hasn’t been found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jace

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Quick question for you guys... I'm on 3.0 19205. I believe my '19 was previously on a 17000 build and then auto updated.

Is the 19205 build known to have problems with Android auto? I can't even get the USB ports up front to even charge my phone, let alone connect to Android Auto. Same results on two pixel 3's as well as a pixel 5. Plug it in and nothing happens. I've reset the system with no change. All worked perfectly a few months ago. The USB ports are lit up still so I don't think the ports have failed.

If this sounds like a Ford Sync issue, I'll jump on the 3.4 ship asap as this is annoying haha.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Quick question for you guys... I'm on 3.0 19205. I believe my '19 was previously on a 17000 build and then auto updated.

Is the 19205 build known to have problems with Android auto?

When I was on 19205, I ran into issues when I didn't use my OEM Samsung cable with my S10. There were annoying bugs (using any cable) that surfaced with the Ford UI communication and AA. None were related to charging.

Version 3.4 is worlds better and has less bugs based on my usage. So far, it's been flawless.

I don't use a thumb/flash drive for music and haven't tested that functionality.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Couple things, I'm assuming you've tried other cables right? I have no issues with charging from the ports but I'm on the latest 3.4 (20237) version and I still have android auto issues. For example, in the previous release and this release, almost every time I shut off the car, then turn it back on with a Pixel 3 connected the whole time, the Sync display is completely black. I have to unplug the phone and reconnect it to get the head unit to start working again.

Additionally, as many others have, I have a lot of issues with incoming calls when connected via usb and android auto. Specifically, there's no audio when you answer a call while connected, if I disconnect the usb cable (which stops AA), bluetooth picks up and starts working almost immediately.

Jace

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I was on 19205, I ran into issues when I didn't use my OEM Samsung cable with my S10. There were annoying bugs (using any cable) that surfaced with the Ford UI communication and AA. None were related to charging.

Version 3.4 is worlds better and has less bugs based on my usage. So far, it's been flawless.

I don't use a thumb/flash drive for music and haven't tested that functionality.
Appreciate the comments! I've tried pretty much every cable I own haha. I think I'll give upgrading to 3.4 a try and go from there.

If it doesn't fix the issue, have any of you ran into any problems with Ford fixing the head units, etc that have been upgraded to 3.4 from outside sources?

Jace

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Couple things, I'm assuming you've tried other cables right? I have no issues with charging from the ports but I'm on the latest 3.4 (20237) version and I still have android auto issues. For example, in the previous release and this release, almost every time I shut off the car, then turn it back on with a Pixel 3 connected the whole time, the Sync display is completely black. I have to unplug the phone and reconnect it to get the head unit to start working again.

Additionally, as many others have, I have a lot of issues with incoming calls when connected via usb and android auto. Specifically, there's no audio when you answer a call while connected, if I disconnect the usb cable (which stops AA), bluetooth picks up and starts working almost immediately.
Yeah I've tried a handful of cables, including the Google cable with USB A adapter, and it acts as if I never plugged anything in. The phone doesn't charge, and Sync doesn't even flinch. It used to work surprisingly well!

I haven't had any black screen issues, but I believe I've always unplugged my phone before exiting the vehicle... I'll have to check with my wife since she drives it the most, but to my knowledge she hasn't complained haha.