Upgrade the factory 110amp alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WHOISMOOTOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on upgrading my alternator, i've looked on ebay and seen 220 amp but that seems like a huge jump from 110amp, im looking to beef it up because i have a system and im tired of my lights dimming when the bass hits and when i put up my windows.

OP
OP
WHOISMOOTOO

WHOISMOOTOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im kind of familiar with battery isolators, im just not sure the stock alt will be able to charge both baterys because its not keeping up with the power demand now, but i will need to order that kit in the future when i buy a new alternator, i just have to find out if 220amps is too much for the charging system or not

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
The idea would be to run the sound system off of the aux battery and leave the stock battery to run the rest of vehicle systems. The isolator would keep both batteries charged. That way the loads are separate.

Also a 110 amp alt is plenty to charge both batteries. The output cable on the back of a 220 amp alt would need to be at least 4ga, although 1ga (or larger)would be better.

OP
OP
WHOISMOOTOO

WHOISMOOTOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thats awesome!! i didnt want to pay like $200 for an alternator then another $200 for the second battery and isolator kit just to make my lights not dim lol!
but there are isolators on ebay for like $20 scosche (the damn wiring harness brand) all you would need ot supply is the battery and cables

trdragons44

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i was just wonderin i replaced my alt(97 eb 5.4) about 10 months ago and ever since i have had a whine at idle. i was wondering if a new battery would get rid of it. i charged the battery to 100% when i changed the alt out. Should i replace the battery it was bought in 03 by my uncle who had it previously to me.

Bow Down

Reaction score
Im kind of familiar with battery isolators, im just not sure the stock alt will be able to charge both baterys because its not keeping up with the power demand now, but i will need to order that kit in the future when i buy a new alternator, i just have to find out if 220amps is too much for the charging system or not

Did you add a cap to your system?? Adding a cap to bass amp, will store power so when your subs hit the lights won't dim. In other words the the bass amp is taking the power from the cap not the battery during heavy bass.

hardrock

Reaction score
You could also try the "big 3" upgrade.

1/0 ground battery to chassis
1/0 ground battery to engine
1/0 hot battery to alternator (fused)

OP
OP
WHOISMOOTOO

WHOISMOOTOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i think im just going to do the isolator circut so i can leave the charging system stock and just add a battery for my amp