Upper Control Arm (UCA) upgrade for 2003?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Broncoholic

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I gave up on moog 10 years ago. Nothing about them is good anymore. Lifetime replacement warranty. Means you will be replacing for a lifetime. I put a set of ISG uppers in mine. About a year ago. Seem to be holding up well so far. It’s a 05 with 3” lift with 285-70r17
Until I can get a "real upgrade" UCA, I'll keep exchanging the Moogs with my local parts store for convenience. I doubt any other brand of similar design will be dramatically better, but I'm all ears.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Keep in mind that Moog has 2 quality lines now days. The K series are still decent parts in my experience. The C and/or R series are just cheap Chinese made garbage.

I replaced both the front UCA's with Motorcraft and LCA's with TRW that I believe are the same as the Motorcraft ones.

Sure wish I could find a set of rear control arms that decent quality. Thus far I have not and not a single shop in my area will press bushings into aluminum control arms, they just tell the arm will break. I figure if they can't do it I'd never succeed on my first try with aluminum arms.

OP
OP
Broncoholic

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Keep in mind that Moog has 2 quality lines now days. The K series are still decent parts in my experience. The C and/or R series are just cheap Chinese made garbage.

I replaced both the front UCA's with Motorcraft and LCA's with TRW that I believe are the same as the Motorcraft ones.

Sure wish I could find a set of rear control arms that decent quality. Thus far I have not and not a single shop in my area will press bushings into aluminum control arms, they just tell the arm will break. I figure if they can't do it I'd never succeed on my first try with aluminum arms.
Unfortunately I'm pretty sure (of the top of my head) my Moog UCAs are the cheaper, but lifetime warranty, R series. After replacing them this time, I left the frame mounts loose and drove around town for at least 10 miles before tightening them. I think last time I tightened them in the full droop position which, I think, shortened the life. Time will tell!

I have my trashed UCAs to exchange for a new set. I really want to use the new set to build a jig and mod some tubular UCAs for my truck. I just gotta make time.

Last edited:

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah the bushings should be tightened at ride height or they can wear out sooner.

At least the UCA's are pretty easy to swap out if you have to do them a few times. Some tubular UCA's would be pretty sweet.