USB Ports Not Working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

isawred

Reaction score
So our charming 4 year old may have taken the iPhone charger plugged into the USB port in the front and stuck the other end into the 12V. Shortly after, my wife said there was a burning smell, then noticed some smoke coming from the port and it was hot. I checked all of the USB Smart Charging fuses (86, 87, 94 and 95) and they look fine. There was an error message showing when starting the car about a USB error and nothing happened when plugging my phone in, but of course when I went to take a picture it wasn't showing up again. Any ideas on where else to look?

Edit: 2018 Expedition MAX XLT

armoredsaint

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mines never worked correctly and my Ford dealer are full of idiots and kept trying to update software instead of replacing it.

OP
OP
I

isawred

Reaction score
Try a system reset from the GUI screen. You can also do this by holding in the power button (volume knob) and pressing the fast fwd button until the screen goes blank. It will come back on after a moment.
This did the trick - thanks! Saved me a potentially costly trip to the dealer as the wife was not happy.

Lawrence T-D

Reaction score
I had to do this after a sync update got hung up and it kept asking for the USB every time I started the truck. Two resets in a row forced the whole update to restart from scratch and run successfully to completion.

Rick M

Reaction score
Does anyone know the fix for a 2017 expedition? Experiencing similar issues.
Same issue. Trim lights around usb work but no response or power from either port. Trying to find cable run and what next device upstream is on this USB cable. Any ideas on a troubleshooting procedure for these ports? I have no way to even know where I am good to.

nationalgallery

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shortly after, my wife said there was a burning smell, then noticed some smoke coming from the port and it was hot.
USB ports, or any other electrical system for that matter, don't spontaneously start producing smoke and a burning smell — something was damaged, but apparently not enough to render it inoperable. I would definitely have it checked out.