Usually how long does the vehicle take to build?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunnySunshine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is exciting! Our new Expedition is in production, but how long does it usually take? My father and I are getting a bit inpatient. :rotflmao:

Screenshot 2024-03-15 110802.png

RacerBX1

Reaction score
My guess is two to three days on the production line. Five days would be the absolute most time it would take. Waiting for shipment is what can take a long time. Shipping is not that long. Final prep is the dealership washing it and get it ready for you to pick up which shouldn’t be longer then a day or two. I have not been to KTP where our Expeditions are made, but I have been to many final assembly plants, so my guess is an educated one.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thats exciting! Im putting my bet in now! My bet is that it will be ready for pickup on at the dealer on 4/5

OP
OP
SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is still showing up as "In Production" and last updated on the 11th. Does it normally take this long? It's been 2 weeks.

RacerBX1

Reaction score
I don’t believe things are actually how they are listed in the status page you posted. When I got mine the Build time took more then expected, but the shipping time was way to fast, so I think the lines between Built and Shipped are blurred. Ford would not start your vehicle down the line without having all the parts, and as mentioned before beginning to end of line is usually two to five days, so I think arranging shipping is also part of the “Build”.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking at old Marti reports, I’ve seen some weird timelines. Long periods between scheduled date and actual. Other times I’ve seen a car ordered and built in a week! That was a 70 Cougar a local guy bought new.

Some cars get hung in the factory. When I worked for Toyota we had cars that went back to the body shop in the plant or other reworking that caused them not to be released for a week or more.

Last edited:

1775SS

Reaction score
I know the Ford Super duty is on the assembly line for 24hrs. Unbelievable how fast they can build a vehicle. And the Expedition is built in the same facility as the Super duty, in Louisville, KY.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We usually ran a takt time of like 54 seconds when I worked at the Georgetown plant about 15 years ago. Some times the plant guy would walk down and say there were cranking it up to recover lost ground and cut ot. Seems fastest I saw it was 49 seconds. Line was noticeably faster when they did that. If you went back in the plant a bit you’d see an ot tracker board that updated based on line stops against the target build number. Built 2000 a day. Two plants, plus a powertrain plant onsite. Pretty crazy place to see all that happening.

OP
OP
SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know the Ford Super duty is on the assembly line for 24hrs. Unbelievable how fast they can build a vehicle. And the Expedition is built in the same facility as the Super duty, in Louisville, KY.
I'm guessing most of the time is finding someone to transport it to the dealer. It's been sitting at "In Production" for 2 weeks now.